Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

OT-I want to move...tell me about your state...

Posted by   + Show Post

I love my state.  But I want to move far away from my family, lol.  DH and I have considered a couple places, but we know nothing about anywhere except New England.  So tell me the good and the bad about your state/area in the state.  The weather, the economy, job market, average income, average housing costs...all that good stuff.  Also, tell me if they are a crazy pro BM state, or if they are more 'in the best interest of the kids' kind of state.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (21-30):
destiny83
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:56 PM

CA. Los Angeles to be specific. 80 degree temps out her last week. We also can see the snow on the mountain tops which are about 30 minutes away. Best interest state. Not the cheapest, but worth it.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 6:58 PM

I'm from Oklahoma can't wait to move back.

Quoting needsupport100:

oklahoma-the winters are cold, summers are HOT. been here all my life, so i don't have a lot to say-they are becoming a "you chose to parent with this person so grow up and deal with it" kind of state lol

economy isn't too bad but it's hard if you don't already have a career, or are not certified in anything-i got lucky before the economy crashed.

housing is CHEAP compared to what i see. i'm in a 3b2b trailer and pay 565 pm. some people make it working part time at local department stores

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 7:09 PM

Is your area the Fond du Lac area still?  That's on the east side of WI?  Is there a good website for job listings?  Or can you name some towns around there so I can check town websites for job listings?

Do you know the average cost of a 3 bedroom apt?  And/or a 3-4 bedroom house?  Do you think getting a home loan is the same across the country?  We have been looking into it here but our income is just so low right now it's ridiculous.  So we have been living with/renting from my mil.  Are the schools ok?  Do most towns have schools from k-12 or do some tuition out for high school and/or middle school? 

Quoting Lorena:

For one I know that at least in my area we are very short on sped teachers. The police/sheriff/state Patrol are always posting jobs.
What eles would you like to know?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We have been looking at WI, we just have no idea where to start.  I've moved an hour away before, but that's it and I was 18 and just worked in a daycare and then retail.  Now I work in a school, I am not a certified teacher in my state but I am qualified to teach special ed and am working toward certification in elem ed and special ed.  I want to teach, so I want to look into the certification requirements in WI, but I also want to find jobs for DH.  He wants to be a police officer, he has an associates degree in criminal justice, he currently is head of security for a private firm and completely hates it, it's not even close to real security.  And he barely makes any money at all.  It sucks for us here right now, we really love our state and our kids love the schools, but honestly we would be better off if we could move and get better jobs, or if DH could get a really good one so I could stay home ;)

So if you have any other advice about WI, please share it!!

Quoting Lorena:

I live in WI too! The only reason I hate it here is because I hate the snow otherwise it is awesome. The area I live in is really good for housing.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Wisconsin. Its great! Everything is snow covered and beautiful at the moment :) and the summer is beautiful too with lots of trees and nature...

Great schools and lots of choices for different types of towns. Big/small/diverse... The only other place I would consider moving is CO. It would have to be near the mountains, though.

And cost of living depends on where in the state you decide. My hometown of Fond du Lac is very reasonable and a perfect medium size. Also within driving distance to all major cities!

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:28 PM
I am kinda by Fond du lac but more by Eau Claire. A good site would be the job center Web site you can look for jobs all over WI and by category. As for schools we live in Osseo which is a small town and we love the school here.
For a 3-4 bd it depends really what you can afford. They can range Fromm $600- 1200. Or you.can sometimes find a good deal like we did. To buy I would say price range is also depending on what you are looking for I would say.$40,000-150,000. Yes, I beileve home buying is the same all over.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Is your area the Fond du Lac area still?  That's on the east side of WI?  Is there a good website for job listings?  Or can you name some towns around there so I can check town websites for job listings?

Do you know the average cost of a 3 bedroom apt?  And/or a 3-4 bedroom house?  Do you think getting a home loan is the same across the country?  We have been looking into it here but our income is just so low right now it's ridiculous.  So we have been living with/renting from my mil.  Are the schools ok?  Do most towns have schools from k-12 or do some tuition out for high school and/or middle school? 

Quoting Lorena:

For one I know that at least in my area we are very short on sped teachers. The police/sheriff/state Patrol are always posting jobs.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

We have been looking at WI, we just have no idea where to start.  I've moved an hour away before, but that's it and I was 18 and just worked in a daycare and then retail.  Now I work in a school, I am not a certified teacher in my state but I am qualified to teach special ed and am working toward certification in elem ed and special ed.  I want to teach, so I want to look into the certification requirements in WI, but I also want to find jobs for DH.  He wants to be a police officer, he has an associates degree in criminal justice, he currently is head of security for a private firm and completely hates it, it's not even close to real security.  And he barely makes any money at all.  It sucks for us here right now, we really love our state and our kids love the schools, but honestly we would be better off if we could move and get better jobs, or if DH could get a really good one so I could stay home ;)

Quoting Lorena:

I live in WI too! The only reason I hate it here is because I hate the snow otherwise it is awesome. The area I live in is really good for housing.

Quoting Mommy0505:

Wisconsin. Its great! Everything is snow covered and beautiful at the moment :) and the summer is beautiful too with lots of trees and nature...

Great schools and lots of choices for different types of towns. Big/small/diverse... The only other place I would consider moving is CO. It would have to be near the mountains, though.

And cost of living depends on where in the state you decide. My hometown of Fond du Lac is very reasonable and a perfect medium size. Also within driving distance to all major cities!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PROGENITOR
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:42 PM

Northern CA. It's nice here.

maria1613
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 8:49 PM
That's how it OS here in Minnesota too.if you love cold winters and warm summer's, come here. Cost of living is decent. But in the Twin Cities is more expensive than up north for example

Quoting Mommy0505:

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Finding a house for 40,000 here would be impossible.  That that amount even came up is amazing to me.  So I saw a couple jobs for DH making $9.50 an hour, that would be a doable amount if we both made around that?  We have two kids.  Right now we make about $30,000 a year combined, and it is just not cutting it.  I suppose we would rent for a while before we buy anyway, no one would give us a loan right away I am sure.  But to rent a 3 bedroom here in a decent neighborhood, we would be lucky to find one around $1200 a month.  DH and I each make around $10/hr now but I only work 32 hours a week and just during the school year.  We could swing it, but it would be tight and I would most likely get a second job if we had to get an apartment.

DHs biggest concern is his CO for his DD.  He has sole physical and legal custody.  BM is military and stationed in KS right now, so we would be moving closer.  She hasn't seen SD in a year and hasn't contacted her in 9 months.  He doesn't really want that to change, sadly, SD has been better off with the consistency of BM not being around.  BM does pay CS, it comes straight from the military.  He doesn't need her permission to move but he does need to inform her of a move.  He is afraid if we are closer she will decide to be MOTY.  He is afraid he will have to change the CO and that she will get all kinds of visitation time (she is allowd 4-5 visits a year now, but has only taken them sporadically over the past almost 3.5 years).  Do you have any idea if he would have to have things changed to WI, or how they would view the whole situation?  Would they just side with BM or would they look at SDs needs?

Quoting Lorena:

I am kinda by Fond du lac but more by Eau Claire. A good site would be the job center Web site you can look for jobs all over WI and by category. As for schools we live in Osseo which is a small town and we love the school here.
For a 3-4 bd it depends really what you can afford. They can range Fromm $600- 1200. Or you.can sometimes find a good deal like we did. To buy I would say price range is also depending on what you are looking for I would say.$40,000-150,000. Yes, I beileve home buying is the same all over.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting Mommy0505:

daddysgf
by and that's all on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:14 PM
I live in nova scotia.. canada lol.
Where we are, you can get a full 3 bedroom home for $700 a month.. minimum wage is 10.25/hr and life is good up here.. just saying
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:37 PM
I believe no matter what state yoi move to you would need to have that state adopt the order.
Other then that WI can be very pro dad. And it seems that you would have a compelling reason for it not to Change. She has not seen her in a yr so they don't really know each anymore. She has been doing better and bm could be ripped out of her life in a flash by being deployed.

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Finding a house for 40,000 here would be impossible.  That that amount even came up is amazing to me.  So I saw a couple jobs for DH making $9.50 an hour, that would be a doable amount if we both made around that?  We have two kids.  Right now we make about $30,000 a year combined, and it is just not cutting it.  I suppose we would rent for a while before we buy anyway, no one would give us a loan right away I am sure.  But to rent a 3 bedroom here in a decent neighborhood, we would be lucky to find one around $1200 a month.  DH and I each make around $10/hr now but I only work 32 hours a week and just during the school year.  We could swing it, but it would be tight and I would most likely get a second job if we had to get an apartment.

DHs biggest concern is his CO for his DD.  He has sole physical and legal custody.  BM is military and stationed in KS right now, so we would be moving closer.  She hasn't seen SD in a year and hasn't contacted her in 9 months.  He doesn't really want that to change, sadly, SD has been better off with the consistency of BM not being around.  BM does pay CS, it comes straight from the military.  He doesn't need her permission to move but he does need to inform her of a move.  He is afraid if we are closer she will decide to be MOTY.  He is afraid he will have to change the CO and that she will get all kinds of visitation time (she is allowd 4-5 visits a year now, but has only taken them sporadically over the past almost 3.5 years).  Do you have any idea if he would have to have things changed to WI, or how they would view the whole situation?  Would they just side with BM or would they look at SDs needs?

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

Quoting Lorena:

Quoting Mommy0505:

Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I have lived in in Nevada ,missouri and I grow up in California
California is beautiful but the rent is WAY over priced .
Nevada is fabulous but hard to find work
Missouri is family oriented
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured