Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT-I want to move...tell me about your state...

Posted by   + Show Post

I love my state.  But I want to move far away from my family, lol.  DH and I have considered a couple places, but we know nothing about anywhere except New England.  So tell me the good and the bad about your state/area in the state.  The weather, the economy, job market, average income, average housing costs...all that good stuff.  Also, tell me if they are a crazy pro BM state, or if they are more 'in the best interest of the kids' kind of state.

by on Dec. 31, 2012 at 2:14 PM
Replies (31-40):
Caitlyn137
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:44 PM
Hows New England ? Since I was a child always wanted live there and check it out
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 9:46 PM
Myrtle. Fucking. Beach. Y'all! Woohoo here :-D
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:33 PM
I've heard good things..lol. But do you have like a weird time zone difference? Like 3.5 hours ahead of EST or something? My DH has some video game friends there and their time is different. But they love it. If minimum wage is 10.25 and a 3 bedroom apt is 700, that's so doable. Minimum wage here is I think 7.75 and a 3 bedroom apt is around 1200 in a decent neighborhood. DH and I make around 10/hr each but I only work school hours/school year. But I wonder if we would make more than minimum wage there. How's the health care and stuff? Gun laws? I wonder how it would work with custody stuff...my ex will work with me, DHs ex wouldn't but she also has had no contact for 9 months except she pays cs with an auto pmt from the military, DH has sole custody and she has visitation and unlimited phone contact, not that she uses any of it and a move wouldn't interfere with it for the most part, we may have to fly with her instead of BM if we are crossing the border I guess.

Quoting daddysgf:

I live in nova scotia.. canada lol.

Where we are, you can get a full 3 bedroom home for $700 a month.. minimum wage is 10.25/hr and life is good up here.. just saying

TJandKarasMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:36 PM
I honestly love it. I live in nh, was born in ma. Nh is awesome, but we aren't getting anywhere. We are almost 30, each have a college degree, and we still only make around $10/hr. it's just getting ridiculous and I thought a move would give us the change we need and I could be away from my family, there is always some issue there and I'd like to avoid the drama.

I don't think we will really move but I like the idea of it. But nh is our home, DH and I both grew up here and it's a great place to live. We just need better job opportunities.

Quoting Caitlyn137:

Hows New England ? Since I was a child always wanted live there and check it out

JacyB
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
If you don't mind me asking (I understand if you don't want to say for the sake of privacy) what county are you in?
I live in Washtenaw and my expirence hasn't been that way, they're pretty "everyone should have time"

Quoting EricaG87:

Michigan. weather sucks. economomy sucks. job market sucks. average income, idk but I'm sure it sucks. Average housing costs are good. This state or at least this county, is quite pro BM.  BM can get primary physical custody pretty much no matter what, even if the dad is an extremely involved and loving parent. I know because when I got divorced my husband was a great father, he was involved, loving, had always provided for our household, never strayed from the marriage.  When I filed for divorce I was advised to seek primary physical custody and that if I did I would be guaranteed I would be awarded it. I was advised to not offer 50/50 parenting time to him and to just do an EOWE schedule for him because that's what the judges like to do here.  I basically told them to go screw themselves. They didn't know me or my family. My ex husband is a GREAT father and I would be damned if anybody could convince me to take my children away from him 300 days a year.  I thought that was bullshit and I told them so. I was told that even if we both agreed to 50/50 parenting and joint custody that the judge may overrule our decision and give me sole physical custody anyway! What a bunch of crap. luckily we were able to convince the judge that 50/50 was the rght move for our family.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Well. I live in California. I love it here an will never leave. However I hate the cost of living and while the incomes here are higher in general, the cost of living is way more than can be comfty on middle income. Also, anymore offshore and out of state companies are buying up all the real estate in cash so it's hard as fuck to get a mortgage.. The bank will give you one but you are likely to be out bid by a cash buyer. It fucking sucks, I will probably never own.
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I live in Northern Calfornia, I like the area for the most part but you kind of have to ignore the politics so they don't drive you crazy. This are has a lower cost of living then many other areas of California, but higher then the national average. Our real estate market took a huge fall so housing prices are still down to record lows but we are now considered to be one of the best projected real estate markets, so prices are gradually rising along with home values. The average household income around here is probably agount $70,000, but that's just a guess. An average home price right now for a 3 bdr house is around $200k. The whether is mild in the winter, lows in the mid-30s to mid 40s and highs in the 50s usually. Spring and fall are perfect with lots of sunny days and temps in the 50s - high 70s, fall is lovely with beautiful leaves and crisp air and spring has some showers but its also sunny often and it's grean and pretty. Summer is hot, quite frankly, but it's not humid so it tolerable and great for water activities like swimming, boating and even camping. Lake tahoe is only and hour and a half drive and San Fransisco is about the same distance, so you can go to the snow or the beach anytime. Taxes ar kind of high here and job market is not great, so those are definitely pitfalls. And it's not a pro-BM state as far as custody is concerned, at least from what I can tell, afterall, my DH has primary custody of his 3 kids.

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Where in Cali do you live? I'm in the Sacramento/Roseville area and I have heard of investors snatching up houses here too, but I had no problem buying a house. Just curious where you are referring too.

Quoting faerie75:

Well. I live in California. I love it here an will never leave. However I hate the cost of living and while the incomes here are higher in general, the cost of living is way more than can be comfty on middle income. Also, anymore offshore and out of state companies are buying up all the real estate in cash so it's hard as fuck to get a mortgage.. The bank will give you one but you are likely to be out bid by a cash buyer. It fucking sucks, I will probably never own.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:26 PM
San Jose. I have friends in Roseville ;)

Quoting rocknmom85:

Where in Cali do you live? I'm in the Sacramento/Roseville area and I have heard of investors snatching up houses here too, but I had no problem buying a house. Just curious where you are referring too.

Quoting faerie75:

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Jan. 27, 2013 at 1:35 PM

Oh and I forgot to mention, rent here is medium-high. A 3 bdr/2 ba rental is around $1,500 a month.

Quoting rocknmom85:

I live in Northern Calfornia, I like the area for the most part but you kind of have to ignore the politics so they don't drive you crazy. This are has a lower cost of living then many other areas of California, but higher then the national average. Our real estate market took a huge fall so housing prices are still down to record lows but we are now considered to be one of the best projected real estate markets, so prices are gradually rising along with home values. The average household income around here is probably agount $70,000, but that's just a guess. An average home price right now for a 3 bdr house is around $200k. The whether is mild in the winter, lows in the mid-30s to mid 40s and highs in the 50s usually. Spring and fall are perfect with lots of sunny days and temps in the 50s - high 70s, fall is lovely with beautiful leaves and crisp air and spring has some showers but its also sunny often and it's grean and pretty. Summer is hot, quite frankly, but it's not humid so it tolerable and great for water activities like swimming, boating and even camping. Lake tahoe is only and hour and a half drive and San Fransisco is about the same distance, so you can go to the snow or the beach anytime. Taxes ar kind of high here and job market is not great, so those are definitely pitfalls. And it's not a pro-BM state as far as custody is concerned, at least from what I can tell, afterall, my DH has primary custody of his 3 kids.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)