Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

A question about joint custody and BP's rights/responsibilities to each other...

Posted by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 9 Replies

It is my understanding that in cases of joint custody each BP has a legal responsibility to the other BP to inform them of the childs phyisical residence while in their care.  As in, if one BP moves and is refusing to tell the other BP where they moved to (or even that they moved) they're violating the other's rights (perhaps even breaking a law or the court order)....

Is this a state by state thing or is a case to case thing?

I know that in cases of domestic violence or where there is a protection/restraining order in place this isn't the sitch, but besides those reasons is my understanding correct?

Thanks in advance for taking the time to read.

by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Lemon816
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:08 PM
I think it's a court order thing. In ours either parent moving is wording with very specific instructions of how and when to inform
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 7:09 PM

DH's court order states that each parent is to know the address of the other parent. If either party moves they need to give the other parent 30 days notice before the move, or must update the other parent right away if they don't have 30 days. The CP cannot move outside of their current school district without the judge's approve or other parent's approval.

Check the wording of the court order to be sure. 

momma2dnm
by Member on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:10 PM

Never was it in written in mine.  I have moved before oh of course I did tell my exh but it was a general area not an actual address.  My home that I have with my dh we lived in for a whole year before exh ever knew exactly where it was.  As long as my exh has unblocked access to our ds he does care. 

jessiesluv
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Dh's is very specific. Not for sure if it's every CO though.

jessiesluv
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 8:25 PM
1 mom liked this

But, why would you not want to let the other parent know where your child lives? Are you (general you) hiding something?

Other than a RO, etc.

Tryshx
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM
Not us. BM has our exact address, both phone numbers and emails. She moved. We found out through the grapevine. She was supposed to be living with her mother and her mom kicked her out. We know where she is living but only because concerned members if the community (because she doesn't have SS in child safe/friendly environment) tipped us off and we've since confirmed what we were told... But she refuses to admit anything
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lnr187
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:25 PM

i do not know if this changes by state, but in new york, you are NOT obligated to tell the other parent where you live UNLESS it changes the child's school district. custodial parent must inform non custodial parent if the child switches schools, doctor, etc... but neither parent has right to know your exact location/ address.

lnr187
by on Jan. 1, 2013 at 9:28 PM

id like dh CO to be written to say that we must know bm address. she hides it from us as long as she can. we worry that if there is ever an emergency, we wouldn't know where ss is. we told her when we were moving and asked if she wanted to come see the place and know where it was. she didn't. it took her about 6 months to see where we live and only bc arrangement changed and she had to get him at our house instead of meeting somewhere.

Lemon816
by on Jan. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Quoting Tryshx:

Not us. BM has our exact address, both phone numbers and emails. She moved. We found out through the grapevine. She was supposed to be living with her mother and her mom kicked her out. We know where she is living but only because concerned members if the community (because she doesn't have SS in child safe/friendly environment) tipped us off and we've since confirmed what we were told... But she refuses to admit anything

IF your court order specifies that she has to tell you, and you can prove she moved- this is contempt. Same thing happened to us, our lawyer told us to file for contempt (chose not to for other reasons) but according to our atty, moving when specified instructions is not taken lightly by a judge. BUT you want to do it soon (like within a month) if sks are going there still. Otherwise, looks like you didnt care. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN