Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

I hate being away from her...::

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
  • 91 Replies
I have a 8 year old SD. She is the misting amazing thing in my life. She has been a part of my life for over 4 years now. We see her every month and all holidays. We get her spring break and 8 weeks in the summer. I love it when she is up here we get along so well. But I find myself a lot more lately becoming an emotional wreck when she away. Do any of y'all do this when your step child goes back to his/her moms house?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 12:42 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrsMama030912
by Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:02 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm definetly not an emotional wreck. Sometimes I find myself wishing she were here but I have two other children of my own so I am plenty busy.

Do you have your own kids?

Maybe you need a hobby ??

I've honestly never heard of a sm being so emotionally attached to a stepchild My sd(9) and I get along great and we are great friends but I definetly enjoy my time with my husband and our children,without sd there horsing in.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
reesesami
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:07 AM
I feel the same way. We have 50/50 custody and on her mom's weekends, like this weekend, I'm always so sad. I miss my little monkey so much when she isn't here:(
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:13 AM
1 mom liked this

While I hate that he has to go through the mama drama and other things he's been through, there is one thing that I absolutely love about my sons (I adopted my stepson) mother losing custody and that's that he is always with us. I can't imagine only getting to see him a few days out of the month. He used to have to go to his maternal grandmothers house, she got grandparent rights, one weekend a month and I always hated him being away. The visits got switched to supervised because she was irresponsible with him.

Jessica_Renee
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:15 AM
No I do not have children of my own. And don't get me wrong I enjoy my time with dh but at the same time sd and I are very close. We have been since day one.

Quoting MrsMama030912:

I'm definetly not an emotional wreck. Sometimes I find myself wishing she were here but I have two other children of my own so I am plenty busy.

Do you have your own kids?

Maybe you need a hobby ??

I've honestly never heard of a sm being so emotionally attached to a stepchild My sd(9) and I get along great and we are great friends but I definetly enjoy my time with my husband and our children,without sd there horsing in.

Jessica_Renee
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM
She lives 3 hours away so when we get her we spend a total 6 hours on the road and get only 1 full day with her. I hate it. Her and her mom are not close at all. She hates to go back home and that always makes it harder.

Quoting LucyHarper:

While I hate that he has to go through the mama drama and other things he's been through, there is one thing that I absolutely love about my sons (I adopted my stepson) mother losing custody and that's that he is always with us. I can't imagine only getting to see him a few days out of the month. He used to have to go to his maternal grandmothers house, she got grandparent rights, one weekend a month and I always hated him being away. The visits got switched to supervised because she was irresponsible with him.

feliciasmith
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:18 AM
6 moms liked this

No. I feel that way about my daughter, whom I grew, birthed, nursed, and raise. But not anyone elses kid

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:24 AM

No, not at all lol. I love my step daughter very much, and she's been in my life since she was 4, she's 17 now. I love when she comes over, but I'm not a wreck when she leaves. She's never been with us on a daily basis, so even though we've developed a great relationship, and sometimes I do get emotional about things that pertain to her, I'm just use to not seeing her all the time. Having kids of your own wont change the love you have for her, but it most likely will fill that empty feeling you have when she is gone.

Jessica_Renee
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:27 AM
I know it will. It's just hard when she goes. I'm not trying to come across like I'm crazy and emotional that I can't function. I still go about my daily business. It just saddens me when she gets upset that she has to go back to her moms and when I look at her dad and I see he hurts too.

Quoting Mommy4000:

No, not at all lol. I love my step daughter very much, and she's been in my life since she was 4, she's 17 now. I love when she comes over, but I'm not a wreck when she leaves. She's never been with us on a daily basis, so even though we've developed a great relationship, and sometimes I do get emotional about things that pertain to her, I'm just use to not seeing her all the time. Having kids of your own wont change the love you have for her, but it most likely will fill that empty feeling you have when she is gone.

CodeBlue
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:30 AM
Emotional wreck? No. Of course I miss the littles but I'm so busy that time flies when they are gone. Do you have enough stuff to do? I hate not being busy and missing people, it's really hard. It's why I fill my schedule up when DH and kids are gone.
packermomof2
by on Jan. 5, 2013 at 1:34 AM
2 moms liked this

You see the kid, literally, a couple of days a month?  And you think your relationship with the kid is better/closer than she is with her mother?  

I read crap like that from SM's (you're not the first to say something like that) and I think they're trying to convince themselves that mom sucks and the kid will one day love the SM more than mom and that the kid will want to move from mom and that life will be great with this kid they don't see that often now living with them full time.

Thing is if push came to shove the kid is more loyal to mom and probably has a better relationship with her mother than you actually know about.  However, she's 8.  8 year olds can be a bit rough at times. As can 9, 10, 11, 12, etc year olds... but that doesn't mean mom and kid don't have a good relationship.

On top of that it's easy to have good, close relationship with someone who is fun and doesn't have to be the bad guy, who isn't doing the work, who isn't the parent... 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN