Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Appropriate clothes for 10 year old girl

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
  • 41 Replies
So another post got me thinking. I have two little boys. The clothes sd10 wears at our house are cute, but not super tight and no skin showing. Sometimes Dh and I feel that the clothes bm let's SD wear are not appropriate. She is skinny. Bm buys her skinny jeans, which are cute. But they are soooo tight. SD was wearing them yesterday when I picked her up. I noticed, while she was putting dishes away, that she flits about and kept running her behind. Her top was cute, I suppose. It was super tight as well and had this sheer thing over it that stopped midchest.

Just wondering if, because I have boys and not a lot of experience with little girls ans their clothing, if I am just reading too much into this. Bm can buy and let her wear whatever and am fine with that. Not my house, not my problem. But we have had problems with SD walking around naked, leaving the bathroom door open while bathing and dressing, pulling her pants down so that you can see crack in the back and underwear in the front. So,ladies with girls, what is appropriate for a 10 & a half year old girl?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 1:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
feliciasmith
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:12 PM

When I was 10 I wore regular pants and baggy shirts. But so did my mom

tottaxi
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM

The clothing for girls today...little or teens...seem more like costumes than appropriate clothing.   The clothing seems more appropriate for clubbing than playing in and going to school.  I do not dress my sd that way.  She's a little girl, not a hooker :)

I agree that the sd's clothes are inappropriate at any age.  I don't have any desire to see anyone's butt crack!  I think she should learn how to dress modestly and with a little class.

On the walking around naked...totally inappropriate even if you didn't have any boys around!  Running naked when you are a toddler is one thing.  Your sd's behavior is totally different.  Her body is changing and she needs to learn lady-like behavior.  I think that your DH needs to make it clear that she must dress and behave appropriately when she is with you guys.  Make her change immediately upon arrival or better yet, send with a "coming home" outfit for her next visit.  If she wears something else, I'd probably toss it.  But that's just me...I like to nip sh*t like this in the bud :)

packermomof2
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Whatever her parents deem to be appropriate.

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM
My DD is almost nine. She wears a lot if A & F t shirts, flare jeans, and fleece pull overs. Sundresses and cartigans are her summer favorite. She's comfy and cute, but doesn't reveal anything or wear tight clothes.

I don't think there is anything wrong with skinny jeans an like the other mom said a lot of kids clothes are costume looking these days. I wonder if BM or SD are picking out the clothes? Is she in jr sizes or still kids sizes? You really have to watch the jr size clothes since they are made for women up to their young 20s.
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:07 PM
I was 15 when my daddy saw a pair of my thongs he flipped his shit! Lol. I can hear it now Linda where the ass of these?! The damn dryer ate them out! I'm dying laughing cause I knew that he knew better! Its a parents thing.

I have seen 13 year old girls that look 20. It is what it is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
violetmarie
by Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I agree that the clothes they make for kids- teens these days are way too revealing! That being said I watch what our teen wears when she heads off to school each morning. If I think something is too tight or too low its gone! What she wears at her moms however is out of my control. I have had talks with her about modesty and she does follow that for the most part in our home.. just needs some reminders sometimes.

However the walking around naked.. so not appropriate. You need to work on that now.

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:18 PM
1 mom liked this

What you are describing is almost exactly what my 7 year old was wearing when i left the house today today. Neon green skinny jeans and a turquoise top with neon green polka dots that is sheer/knitted i guess you could say with a solid turquoiselayer underneath and a neon green tank top underneath that.  She look pretty cute (for a 7 year old never catch me in all that neon lol).

As far as the walking around naked. She sounds like my 12 year old she has no shame like her dad. I'm ALWAYS shutting the door for her or telling her PUT SOME DANG PANTS ON. She is not prude in anyway. YDD is much more shy in that aspect she won't even change her shirt in front of me she is extremely shy. They both grew up in the same house, same parents, yet are completely different in that aspect.

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:36 PM

DD is wearing a white tank with a loose, short wide armed shirt that is sheer knit, black and white stripes, skinny jeans and sparkly Tom's.  Kind of similar to what you are talking about.  She dresses like this fairly commonly.  Skinny jeans and a cute top is standard apparel is the norm for a lot of girls.  Your SD clothing sounds fine. 

The naked thing, not cool.  BUT, is it just her and BM at BM home.  That may explain it.  Maybe they leave doors open and since she is with mom so much maybe she doesn't have to worry about modesty with no "boys" there normally?

newstepmom61811
by on Jan. 12, 2013 at 3:54 PM
2 moms liked this
SD is 12, DH keeps a serious handle on what she wears. The dryer regularly "eats" stuff that's too revealing. As for the running around naked thing. SS9 did this. I blew it off some and DH and I hounded him to wear clothes, bought him a robe. I was in for a rude awakening. SS therapist really pulls no punches and got all over me about thinking it was not such a big deal. Made it explicitly clear a child that age being that exhibitionary is not developmentally the norm and has nothing to do with body comfort. It is an attention seeking behavior, and a sign of something that needs to be addressed. The developmental norm is actually modesty about the changing body not being an exhibitionist about it. She set me quite straight and dealt quite firmly with SS about it's inappropriateness at his age and that it was to immediately stop. Quit immediately.
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2013 at 4:44 PM

sounds like the stuff sd11 wears-she's super skinny too

each child is different-both dd and sd prefer to keep covered where as growing up-my sisters didnt mind to show more skin

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)