Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how would you handle this?

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM
  • 11 Replies

this is hypothetical because i plan to do nothing.

ss11 has an ipod touch he got for christmas.

ss9 got a kindle for his last birthday.

ss4 doesnt have any tech gadgets. but he always wants them. if he isnt whining for one of the other kids tech gadget hes whining for dads iphone. it seems like they spend their time shuffling him around or else he will whine.

i dont let kids OR skids. .. read ANY kids.. touch my phone. if it were my own kid id tell him no. and if the other skids were mine i would ask that they share on a minimal basis but mostly play them in private if they dont wanna share. i wouldnt make them share constantly.

what woudl you do?

by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SavesSpiders
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:16 PM
1 mom liked this

My phone is off limits UNLESS I give permission first.  I give my SDs the same privacy - which they really appreciate.   Besides, although I keep everything clean,  I'm an adult with adult friends who can send me adult text messages.  I like the blanket rule that NO ONE gets to use my phone without my permission.  

There's got to be an age-appropriate toy out there for your ss4.  Anyone out there with 4-year olds have a suggestion?  

angelmommy2806
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:19 PM
My phone is off limits. Dh's tablet-off limits. Both my ss's have smart phones they can play online with, but aren't activated (mine and Dh's old phones), they also have an attic with their own TV and the Wii is up there. Ds2 has kid laptops and a leappad.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:20 PM

lol ss4 followed my 18 year old son whining for his iphone yesterday and sad to say he got the bedr4oom door shut in his face. i do not ask mine to share with him period. so asks HIS kids to share.

he was thinking of getting someones older iphone from cl if he can find a cheap one. they get wifi and he could play the games.

LucyHarper
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I don't give my kids things because they whine. I would just tell them no and move on, he is too young for any of that stuff, buy the kid some blocks. 

Mommy0505
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:24 PM
We don't MAKE our kids share their items. Sure it would be nice of them and it actually happens frequently, but they maintain ownership of their property even if they aren't using it.

Although, if they bring something out of their room and leave it lay, another is allowed to play with it. And they can't "take it away". If they didn't care enough about the item to put it away when they were done with it, and it is laying out in shared family space (anywhere but their bedrooms) then they have no right to confiscate it when someone else decides to (respectfully) use that item.

As for 1 kid not having something else the others have, that's just part of life. Tell him to start making a bday/christmas list and ecourage him to find some fun in the things he does have.

We limit electronic usage (for many reasons) and so when there was a difference in what they owned (one had an ipad and the other did not) it wasn't constantly in the other's face, so it wasn't too much of an issue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LovingMy2x4
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:25 PM

I got (I mean Santa got) my DS4 a Tabeo for Xmas. It was $150 and worth every penny. It has most of the games the iPads have, but has a lot of parental controls and a bumper around the whole thing. He keeps his dirty little 4 year old boy fingers off ours now :)

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM

yep thats what i think. i told my SO i dnt want our kid expecting tech gadgets young and he said "well it is 2013" i dont care. im not letting mine play with my phone either.

also the whining thing. i wont do anything for any kid when they whine. when ss4 whines to me i tell him i cant hear him until he talks in a big boy voice. that seems to work just fine. idk why SO listens. he complains about it yet listens. oh well.

Quoting LucyHarper:

I don't give my kids things because they whine. I would just tell them no and move on, he is too young for any of that stuff, buy the kid some blocks. 

faerie75
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM

thanks. but he likes the actual games his brothers are playing. thanks for the suggestion though!

oh noez i got a featured post. lol

morethanamemory
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:29 PM
Not a step mom but saw this post on front page. If your ss is 4 I personally think that is a little young for something like that (my dd is 3 and no way would I let her have an iPhone) but maybe get him one of those little leap frog things the one I have seen and thought about gettin dd connects to wifi and of course you can buy the cartigages for games for it...then he can have a little gaget of his own. (Just an idea) hope it helped.

Edit: not to mention the games are supposed to be educational so that is a win if he is going to be playin them.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LucyHarper
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

My kids don't have any of that stuff, we have a desktop family computer, my 17 year old brother has a simple phone, no data, and my 17 year old brother and 13 year old sister have ipod nanos, thats it. I'm the guardian of my younger siblings and have two boys, they all get by just fine, they fit it fine with their friends and are bright kids, they know how to use a computer for any skills they would need in the work world. Just because its 2013 and that stuff is available doesn't mean we should give it all to small children. I believe that childhood is a major time for brain development, I want them to use their imaginations and not just stare at a screen clicking buttons. I agree with you.

Quoting faerie75:

yep thats what i think. i told my SO i dnt want our kid expecting tech gadgets young and he said "well it is 2013" i dont care. im not letting mine play with my phone either.

also the whining thing. i wont do anything for any kid when they whine. when ss4 whines to me i tell him i cant hear him until he talks in a big boy voice. that seems to work just fine. idk why SO listens. he complains about it yet listens. oh well.

Quoting LucyHarper:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)