Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

bm partial disability

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM
  • 7 Replies
Dh has full legal custody of sd. Bm shares physical disability. Bm does not pay child support. She informed dh tgat agree is filing for partial disability. She said that she told them she has a child but doesn't have any dependents. Sd also has a disability and recieves ssi. I'm wondering if Sd is in titled to more money if bm doesget approved for ddisability. My husband says not to worry about it but I think we should at least ask the social security office how the best way to handle this is. Any ideas on what this might mean? Can bm get a check for sd so what happens if she doesn't give us the check? Could her getting a check mess sds ssi up?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Lorena
by on Jan. 14, 2013 at 11:20 PM
Is the disability that bm is trying to get for herself or for sd?
mamaBerg85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 12:12 AM
For herself. Sd already gets ssi. Sd is autistic. Bm didn't know sd got ssi until early last yr. Ssi had nothing to do with bm but now I'm wondering if bm gets disability if that will hurt or help SDs benefits.

Quoting Lorena:

Is the disability that bm is trying to get for herself or for sd?

KellyReedy
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 1:12 AM

All you can do is contact SSI?!

E_is_4_Ethan
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 2:31 AM

It won't hurt SD's SSI.

As for SD falling under a different category on top of the one she has now, due to BM getting SSI, all depends on different things. The only way to find out is contacting SSI.

mamaBerg85
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 7:28 AM
Ok ill call them on my first break today.
tbabys
by on Jan. 15, 2013 at 8:25 AM
1 mom liked this
If she qualifies for a benefit under mom's claim it will reduce her ssi amount.. but that money should go to who ever is already the payee for the child. That is just my personal experience with my Dds said. Call to double check though especially if you are payee not mom.
DDDaysh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 15, 2013 at 9:41 AM

It depends on whether BM got SSI or SSDI.  If she got SSDI, then your SD should qualify for a dependent payment of some amount.  If she gets a dependent payment from SSDI though, it probably will impact her SSI amount.  I'm not sure if it's a 1 to 1 reduction or some other amount though.  

You'll have to call the SS office to find out.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)