Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Does your stepchild call you "Mom"

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
  • 52 Replies

how long have they called you that? Was it something they initiated or you or maybe BD? How does BM feel about it?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

they have a few times

mere slip of the tongue

BM didn't seem fazed by it

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:56 PM

no because I'm not his mom.

Lorena
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:00 PM
Yes they do. They started basically as soon as we picked them up. They dis it on their own. We even told them that they could call me by my name. Bm makes the older two call me mamma Lorena but lets my sd4 call me mom.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sparklz123
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:01 PM

SS called me by my first name up til he was about 6. Then he started slipping and calling me mom. Then he would go back and forth between mom and my first name. Then he finally asked me one day if he could just call me mom since I am "like his mom" when he's visiting here and of course I agreed. BM has always made it known that she doesn't like him calling me that, but I find that to be a little hypocritical of her since it's quite ok for SS to call her husband/his stepdad "Dad" ..... in front of my DH no less. SS never calls me mom if his mom's around. Hmmmm?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My SD did, a handful of times. As tigress said, it was mostly by accident. And I don't think BM knew, but if she did she would not have minded. Because she would have known it was by accident, and didn't mean anything.

in any case we did not encourage it, in fact we actively encouraged calling me by my name (as in, "go tell WIKN dinner's ready" or "did you see that cake that WIKN made?"). Very little kids get the names mixed up but the problem solves itself if no one encourages it.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM

Quoting sparklz123:

SS called me by my first name up til he was about 6. Then he started slipping and calling me mom. Then he would go back and forth between mom and my first name. Then he finally asked me one day if he could just call me mom since I am "like his mom" when he's visiting here and of course I agreed. BM has always made it known that she doesn't like him calling me that, but I find that to be a little hypocritical of her since it's quite ok for SS to call her husband/his stepdad "Dad" ..... in front of my DH no less. SS never calls me mom if his mom's around. Hmmmm?

I wouldn't worry about it. Eventually he will just return to your name, as long as you don't encourage it (by referring to yourself as "mom" or having your husband refer to you as "mom").

If his mother does not want him calling you mom, it would be in his best interest to respect that, so that he is not put in the middle.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:04 PM
My son calls me Ms. April for the first hour after he returns home from preschool ... I am still not his ms. April.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
I'd like someone to make me a cake ... :(

Quoting whatIknownow:

My SD did, a handful of times. As tigress said, it was mostly by accident. And I don't think BM knew, but if she did she would not have minded. Because she would have known it was by accident, and didn't mean anything.

in any case we did not encourage it, in fact we actively encouraged calling me by my name (as in, "go tell WIKN dinner's ready" or "did you see that cake that WIKN made?"). Very little kids get the names mixed up but the problem solves itself if no one encourages it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daddysgf
by and that's all on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
Nope, He calls me by a nickname that even his BM encourages.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
daddysgf
by and that's all on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:05 PM
And everyone in my town knows the nickname lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured