Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Does your stepchild call you "Mom"

Posted by   + Show Post

how long have they called you that? Was it something they initiated or you or maybe BD? How does BM feel about it?

by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamaMoopsie
by on Jan. 17, 2013 at 9:42 PM

SD calls me mom. She wanted to right from the beginning when DH and I started dating, but I wasn't comfortable with that. After a year together and then the birth of her baby sister DH and I felt it was okay for SD to call me mom if she wanted, I never told her she had to or even really encouraged it. She's been calling me mom for four years now.

BM doesn't like it, but seeing as she never talks to SD unless it's during the summer, SD's birthday, or during Christmas, I don't really care what BM feels. She stepped out of the mom role when SD was 2 (3 years before I came into the picture) and hasn't had much to do with SD since...the only reason she sees her during the summer or for Christmas is because BM lives with her own mother and her mother wants to see SD.

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 10:18 PM
My stepsons call me mom, ds7 calls my dh dad. They called me by my first name for a little over a year. It actually started with my ds calling dh dad, and then ss6 asked "can I call you mom?" . Next ss4 announced "I want to call you mom". My ds switches back and forth, and he also refers to his father by his name, but also by dad. His dad is barely in the picture and BM has been gone for almost two years with no contact whatsoever. I really just feel like it's up to the kids - I would not care either way. Recently BMs parents visited and I was a little awkward with the kids calling me mom, but Grandma just rolled with it- even referring to me as mommy to the kids. I might be living in the twilight zone, lol,
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Jan. 17, 2013 at 11:23 PM
1 mom liked this

SS usually calls me "lucky" but every now and then he will say "luckymom".  He has told friends recently "yeah thats my mom and dad" but I think that was more because he didnt want to explain it, he was more interested in the activities at hand.

I dont have a clue what BM thinks, nor do I car, after the circumstances under which we got custody and her subsequent refusal to stay in contact with SS.

I told SS way back in the day "You can call me lucky, or a nickname, or whatever you want as long as its a nice name.  Its up to you" and left it at that.  

We dont obsess over titles here. 

weaveress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:37 AM

yes. since she was 2ish, she's almost 12 now. I had my son when she was 2.5 so i think she picked up on the mommy thing from everyone talking to the baby. BM was upset at first, but she wasn't in the picture much so by the time Sd was in preschool she understood she had two mommies and BM had gotten over it. 

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Sometimes. Usually, it’s an accident, but there have been a few times he’s said it intentionally. For the most part, he calls by my first name.

I’m sure BM would flip her gourd if she knew that SS ever called me mom. She cringes anytime I’m introduced as a ‘stepparent’. It’s a little hypocritical, because she makes SS refer to her husband as ‘Dad’. I’m sure she would be equally angry to know that SS refers to her by her real name when he’s with us. I don’t know why he does it, because we always refer to BM as ‘your mom’, ‘mommy’, etc.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM

No.  I'm not their Mom.

Kat31
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 10:52 AM
No. I met him when he was 4. He has always called me by my first name.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Chibi_Kitten
by Krystal on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:01 AM
1 mom liked this

Only when they want to embarrass me, apparently I'm "cute" when I'm turning various shades of red. They don't do it often, usually just in public to have fun. They initiated it, their dad (my husband) thinks it's hilarious as does their mom (who has said that's what I get for marrying their dad). :)

momalee40
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
My 6 yr old stepson has.slipped several times and called me Mom, i just let it go. Most of the time he uses my name. I encourage him to . I honestly dont want to think i remind him anything of the worthless human being who gave birth to him. Sorry, i know i will be bashed for that but it takes more than giving birth to make someone a mother...
stepconfused182
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My SS calls me mom. We never encouraged it all. After about a year of marriage to his dad he started calling me that. At first, he just called me his mom to others and then it just turned into mom when he addressed me. We never talked about it.... whether he should call me by my first name or not. It just happened. But his mom hasn't as much as called him in over 3 years so I do wonder if he would call me mom if she was an active part of his life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN