Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do you refer to your SKs as your ‘son’ or your ‘daughter’?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
  • 31 Replies

I’ve seen a lot of talk about whether or not your SKs call you mom, but what do you refer to your step kids as?

Do you ever refer to them as just your ‘son’ or ‘daughter’? Does that matter who you’re around (example : referring to them as your step kids when you’re in the presence of BM, versus if you’re with your own family)? Do you have children of your own? Do your SKs want to you call them ‘your kids’ or ‘your step kids’?

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:44 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kzuehlk
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:46 AM
I call him my son, but I've been raising him full time since he was a toddler
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
2 moms liked this
"The kids" when talking about all.

"My stepkids" or "my stepdaughters" when just talking about them.
RMCmata
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:52 AM
1 mom liked this
I refer to him as my ss when he isn't around. His preference is I call him my son. The first time I introduced him as many ss he corrected me buy saying "no I'm your son "
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
lizzyluvsmoe
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:53 AM

I call my sd8 my bbam...(baby by another mother) and I call the boys my stepsons

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:17 PM
1 mom liked this

No, I don't refer to them as my son or daughter.  SD would like that, but her mother wouldn't.  BM has a lot of insecurity over being a NCBM, so the very last thing I need is for her to have a reason to freak out.  I'm very deliberate in presenting myself as SM for mine and their protection.  With my own family, the SKs are "the kids".  I do not have children of my own, but my SKs are not and can never be a substitute for that.

MamaMoopsie
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:21 PM

I usually call SD my daughter. When I first introduce her to someone I will usually clarify that she is my stepdaughter, but when talking about my kids with family, friends, or even acquaintances she's just my daughter. With BM around, which is rare, I simply refer to SD by name.

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:22 PM

It depends on the audience. My ds and ss are the same age, in the same grade - so to dispell the "twins" notion it is sometimes necessary to explain.

step7
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:35 PM
I refer to them as the kids or my stepson and stepdaughter. I don't have any kids of my own. They call me by my first name. If bm is around and involved, I can't understand why a stepmom would try to get a skids to call her mom. They have a mom already. I know thete are many different situations out there and I don't want to judge but if I wanted someone to call me mom, I would have a child of my own.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sarahfire
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:10 PM
1 mom liked this

No, they are my stepdaughters. They have a mother and I am not her. It might be different if she wasn't around or we were the custodial parents but we are not.

Privacyisgood
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:14 PM

If I'm talking to an friend, I'd say "Sam's daughter".  If I'm talking to Sam (husband) I'd say "your daughter".    

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN