Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Is it wrong for me to say I have 2 kids when my hubby has one which makes 3 for him?

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
  • 78 Replies

My DH gets mad when someone asks how many kids I have and I say 2.  I do only have 2, my SD is such a witch I wouldn't want to include her as mine.  She doesn' treat me with any respect.

by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:01 PM

In your husband's presence, it may be better to answer, "I have two, and he has one," or "We have 3 combined."  You know it's hot button for him, so you can look for ways not to push it. 

When you're asked the same question away from your DH, it really doesn't matter how you answer.  Letting folks know you have two children and a step-daughter is no biggie.  She's not your child.  There's no reason to present her as otherwise, even if she was an angelic being that you absolutely adored and wished to claim as your own.  The fact that you don't get along is neither here nor there.

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:04 PM

What I say is this "I have a daughter and DH has a son."  Or "We have two combined."  DH used to get mad, but it is what it is. 

Busymom855
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:07 PM
1 mom liked this
When asked I always say "we have a total of 6". I just leave it at that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Katalystic
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:15 PM
8 moms liked this

Considering your reasoning for saying you have two, yeah, I'd be miffed if I was DH. So if SD was wonderful, you'd say you have three? What happens when one of your bios is an ass that day or week, do you then not mention them and say you only have one?

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

I always joke around and say I have 2 1/2! We have my SD 50/50. I get some pretty weird looks....

HappeeMomma
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:48 PM
3 moms liked this

I know someone that says One (never mentions her step son) and I always think "What a bit##", what hell there must be for the SS.  I would say 3: 2 biological and 1 step.  That is the honorable thing to say.  The fact that she is a witch, well, she is still a kid and adults will blame you for the decay of that relationship, not her.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:57 PM

I say I have 4 children (SD, DS, and 2 DDs)

sarahfire
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 12:59 PM

No, I usually say I have 2 kids and that is not including my stepkids. I would have 4 if I included them.

LovingMy2x4
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:23 PM

I have a total of 6 too. 2 bios and 4 step. How old are yours?

Quoting Busymom855:

When asked I always say "we have a total of 6". I just leave it at that.

*J*

Privacyisgood
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 1:28 PM
1 mom liked this

I do not include step kid when answering how many kids I have.   Thank God she is not mine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN