Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

OT:Meat...how to make it?prepare it? Help!

Posted by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
  • 74 Replies
I'm a pasta type of gal. I LOVE pastas and I am pretty good at them. Dh is skids LOVE meat. HATE pastas. (I'm talking,no spaghetti,macaroni salad,potato salad).

I'm tired of not knowing how to make meat! Any tips ladies? Like how do you make your steak? Chicken breast is hard also! What do you do? I Just throw it in a pan and pray it doesn't come out dry. I am Mexican and my Dh is a wedo if that helps. He doesn't really eat very many dishes I LOVE (ethnic)but he does give them a try;). I feel for bad for my hubby. Lol. He's missing out on pasta!

Help me in any way possible! ;)

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
adamsmom0116
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Steak? Grill it. Or chunk it up and make kabobs. Or chunk it up and make a stew in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and gravy.

Chicken? Put it in the crock pot with a can of cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup. Serve it over noodles (for you) or mashed potatoes (for everyone else). You can do the same with round steak in the crock pot. OR, crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers, add a pkg of dry ranch salad dressing mix, roll your chicken it it and bake it at 375 for about 30-45 minutes. OR, marinate it in something (salad dressing, teriyaki sauce) all day, then grill it. Make extra and have a salad with the leftovers.

Go to allrecipes.com for lots of ideas. http://www.myrecipes.com/ offers a daily recipe email list. Get on that. They have a lot of good and easy recipes.

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jan. 18, 2013 at 3:59 PM
Like I just learned to put Italian dressing on chicken breast to make terkyki chicken.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:01 PM
Thanks!

I recently tried a round steak in a roaster oven and it came out great! For the steak is there anything inside I can use? As in a pan? I use my cast iron for almost everything. :)

I will learn how to master the grill soon. My Dh is going to teach me;)

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Steak? Grill it. Or chunk it up and make kabobs. Or chunk it up and make a stew in the crockpot with potatoes, carrots, tomatoes and gravy.

Chicken? Put it in the crock pot with a can of cream of chicken (or mushroom) soup. Serve it over noodles (for you) or mashed potatoes (for everyone else). You can do the same with round steak in the crock pot. OR, crush a sleeve of Ritz crackers, add a pkg of dry ranch salad dressing mix, roll your chicken it it and bake it at 375 for about 30-45 minutes. OR, marinate it in something (salad dressing, teriyaki sauce) all day, then grill it. Make extra and have a salad with the leftovers.

Go to allrecipes.com for lots of ideas. http://www.myrecipes.com/ offers a daily recipe email list. Get on that. They have a lot of good and easy recipes.

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:23 PM

Ummmm.....

What is a wedo? :)

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:35 PM
Haha! Sorry! My white hubby. His family is southern (Tennessee Oklahoma)so I can't compete with his Nana! Lol.

Quoting GlockMom:

Ummmm.....

JalensMommy2012
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:36 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, we don't eat beef or pork in our house so I have no tips on those....

But chicken is a staple soooo I can share a few recipes. Ill be back shortly, gotta feed and change my monster

adamsmom0116
by Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:47 PM
1 mom liked this

You mean like if you want a T-bone steak??? For that, you could brown both sides in your pan, then stick the whole thing in the oven to finish it off. You can top with a pat of seasoned butter, or crumbled cheese (like bleu cheese or feta). Or you could broil it but I've not had very good luck with that method.

If you have some roasts, I cook them in the crockpot with various seasonings - ketchup, onions, and brown sugar for BBQ - then shred and have sandwiches.

Check out those websites. They will give you LOTS of good ideas! :)

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Thanks!

I recently tried a round steak in a roaster oven and it came out great! For the steak is there anything inside I can use? As in a pan? I use my cast iron for almost everything. :)

I will learn how to master the grill soon. My Dh is going to teach me;)

Quoting adamsmom0116:

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this

That's the kind of cooking I grew up with too! You can't go wrong with chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes and gravy, and corn. It's a staple down here... So easy to make.

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Haha! Sorry! My white hubby. His family is southern (Tennessee Oklahoma)so I can't compete with his Nana! Lol.

Quoting GlockMom:

Ummmm.....

GlockMom
by Gold Member on Jan. 18, 2013 at 4:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Steamedpuddle30:

Quoting GlockMom:

Ummmm.....

Ohhhhh!!  OK.  I am white and I ain't never heard that before.  Haha!

We eat a lot, and I mean A LOT of grilled chicken, salmon and tuna.  Very little beef and almost no pork.  DH is a bodybuilder so I have mastered the fine art of chicken and fish cooking.  One quick easy way to do any of those is to add a little olive oil to your skillet, sprinkle on some lemon pepper seasoning and pan sear until done.  Other seasonings and rubs work that way too.  Also, marinade comes in ALL different flavors in bottles in the grocer.  I make a lot of marinades because DH and DS needs to avoid as much Red 40 as possible.  It effects both their moods and behavior. There are a lot of colors, sodium and preservatives in store bought marinade so I avoid them but if DH and DS weren't so sensitive I would buy a lot of marinades instead of making them.  Another easy thing is just popping the seasoned or marinated meat into a pan and baking it.  DH likes the almost caramelized texture from the pan searing. 

I will post some marinade recipes later for you.  I am GOING HOME now!!  Yay!

laughnchica
by on Jan. 18, 2013 at 5:00 PM
3 moms liked this

www.allrecipes.com

Has a whole bunch of awesome recipes...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)