Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SD can not keep room clean!

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
  • 165 Replies
2 moms liked this

My 15 1/2 year old SD can not keep her room clean!  This has been going on forever and no matter what we do she just won't do it!  We even tell her if she can't get to it just let us know, leave a note, text us something acknowledging you know it needs to be done.  How can we get her to stay on track?  I went in there this morning and put in all in a huge garbage bag that is how much crap she has laying around.  I don't excpect that it needs to be 100% but pick the crap up off the floor and get your dirty laundry in the laundry room!

by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:49 AM
2 moms liked this

That's the $64k question.  My SD will clean her room but leave candy wrappers and other trash littering the floor.  She claims she doesn't see it.  But that bare minimum effort is consistent throughout most of what she does.  Teen thing?  I wasn't like that as a teen.  I wasn't necessarily thrilled to do chores, but I knew to do them right.  I can't even get SD to rinse a pot out for me when I'm cooking dinner without having to send her back to the sink 2-3 times to get all the soap out.  Again, "I don't see any suds," when there are bubbles around the rim and dripping down one side.  School is the same way.  She does her assignments at least, but she does the exact minimum required.  We've tried grounding, taking away electronics, taking away privileges, offering incentive money... Nothing works.  She is convinced she is trying harder than anyone ever tried and working harder than anyone ever worked.  Or that's the case she argues anyway when DH is yelling at her for being lazy.

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM
5 moms liked this

Sucks having a teenager sometimes.

247beachbumz
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Same boat w/mine...same age as urs....Her dad n I told her b4, if I find it on the floor or under the bed or between bed n wall....it's in the trash....u can't tke care of it, u obviously don't want it n therefore don't deserve it.  Love watching her dig her stuff out the trash...n no, it's not all on top...I put it at the bottom n in between stuff.......that's a losing battle....keep doin what ur doing, she knows the rules n if she refuses to follow like she has been, keep puttin her stuff in the garbage n put it out by trash can.  Or u can remove her dressers n all hangers n leave all her crap on the floor n keep door shut n jst disengage.  She likes it on the flr, ALL her stuff wud b on the flr, clean n dirty....maybe she mite get hint then?  Prayin for u.....I need GOD everyday jst to deal w/SDs bs

angelmommy2806
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:02 AM
2 moms liked this
When SD15 lived here and couldn't keep her room cleaned Dh took everything out, but her bed, dresser, and clothes. Everything went into trash bags in the attic and she had to earn it all back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:03 AM

My DD is 19 and her room was a nightmare. she moved out and has been replaced by my SD 17.  No difference in the room.  Feel like we are constantly , daily asking her to clean.  She has no chores .. stays in there for hours on end..  I gave up.  But if she wants company or to go somewhere or if we have company.. the room gets cleaned.

Mommy4000
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:05 AM

My step daughter doesn't live with us but I have the same problem with her. If I'm home she will pick up after herself, but if I'm not she just leaves things laying around. She'll just go and get whatever she wants to use and then just leaves it out. I don't have a problem with her using stuff or helping herself to anything, I just don't understand why if it's just her dad here, she wont pick up, but if I'm home she makes sure it gets put away.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:07 AM

if you figure out the trick let dh and I know, our boys are pigs! 

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:18 AM
1 mom liked this

All 3 of my daughters are exactly the same way.  When I finally get pissed enough, I call a total blackout until it gets done the way I want it, perfectly.   A total blackout means everyone turns in their cell phone, iPod, Kindle Fire, laptop (they have all of these) and no tv, no games, no nothing until it's done.  Sometimes I even have to postpone snacks, dinner, or even going to their Dad's for the weekend.  When I call total blackout, I mean business.  And they know it. 

I usually give warnings when I'm getting close.  I ask very nicely for it to get done, and if it doesn't, I ask once more with a blackout warning.  Sometimes, if it takes them too long to get it done, even after the blackout, I won't give back the iPods until they've kept it clean for a week with no problems.  They really hate that.  But it really works. 

Happily Married | BM to DD13  DD13  DD11 | Mom to DS7 & DS3 | CP

whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Jan. 22, 2013 at 11:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Close the door!

problem solved.

Next!

plajen
by on Jan. 22, 2013 at 12:03 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting whatIknownow:

Close the door!

problem solved.

Next!

And what will that teach her?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)