Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How does DH adopt ss

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
  • 7 Replies
My husband wants to adopt my son and my son wants the same thing. I really don't know where to start.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:34 PM

I have looked into it and each state is a little different.   I think the best route is help from a attorney though.   I know if the BF has not relinguished rights that has to be done first.  If the BF is paying support its not really a option to get the judge to force it.  In my caes havent heard from the BF since 2008, no CS and the man is wanted on criminal warrants.   I think my best bet is to schedule a hearing and ask the judge to relinguish the rights.  If the where abouts are unknown  it has to be published in a paper and then there is a waiting period.  Our State also requires you have to be married for minimum of 2 years.  Thats as far as I have gotten.  I just think I need the attorney to handle it.

EmBoogRaysMommy
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Have BF parental rights been terminated? That is step one. It is a lengthy and costly process. You will need to file the proper paperwork with the court and they will appoint an attorney for your son. You will have to pay for this in most cases. You will also have to have a home study done. You will have to pay for that also. There are a lot of steps but it can be done without an attorney. I would hire an attorney if yiu can afford one though just to be sure everything is done the right way. I just adopted my SS (now DS!!!) in TX. PM me if you would like. :)
rebeccasmly
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 2:41 PM
Each state is different but the first thing you need to do is find out how you can terminate BF's parental rights.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angirose
by on Jan. 24, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting rebeccasmly:

Each state is different but the first thing you need to do is find out how you can terminate BF's parental rights.

this.....good luck lady :0)

Charli627
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:08 PM

Quoting rebeccasmly:

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 8:38 PM
Get an attorney. This is not something to do on your own. BF rights need terminated...either voluntarily or through the courts. Then they will petition for step parent adoption. Depending on the state and situation a home study may be done, but an attorney can advise you about that. There may also be a waiting period to give BF time to change his mind.

Currently in the process of DH adopting ODD and waiting on a court date. Cost us $1500 total, but BF signed waiver of his rights and the attorney requested a waiver on all home study stuff because DH has always been Dad and ODD is 7.

Good Luck!
mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 10:55 PM
Agreed with everyone dh adopted dd over the summer did an open adoption. There has been one email since then so as days pass I'm happier with our choice then I was the day before.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)