Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Step Mom and TTC!

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM
  • 131 Replies

I'm engaged to my wonderful fiance. He has two children from a previous marriage whom we have custody of (they only see their bio. mom on standard orders...3 hrs wed, every other wkend). They both totally accept me and love me and even call me 'mom'. I am VERY lucky that they have been so accepting of me and my relationship with their dad.

We are getting married soon and have decided to start trying for our first baby. I stopped taking the pill the beginning of Nov. We have been doing EVERYTHING possible to get pregnant and no dice yet. It's very frustrating but it does feel like we've been trying longer than 2 months since marriage and children is what we've wanted most together since we've been together. Am I just being impatient?

On top of having just recently stopped the pill, he was diagnosed with low testosterone a few months ago and is receiving monthly testosterone injections. Things I have read says a side effect of testosterone replacement can be low/no sperm count among other thing.... however his brother (a pharmacist) did some research and did not seem to think it'd affect our chances, that it is most likely the pill isn't out of my system completely yet... his doctor did not seem to think it'd be an issue either but we see him on Monday and will ask more specific questions this time. I love my step children but I am just worried that I won't be able to have my own children crying mini

by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:42 PM
2 moms liked this

Why are you TTC before marriage if you are already engaged?  Isn't that a bad example to his kids to have a baby before marriage?

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM
1 mom liked this

*head-desk*

We'd been TTCing for 13 months when I went to see a fertility doctor.  Doctor spent all of about 5 seconds looking at the chart before announcing, "The problem is your husband."  DH was taking testosterone injections.  His doctor had told him that they would not impact his sperm count and might even help with TTCing.  Well guess what?  Zero sperm.  It took a full year, during which time we tried several IUIs (failed), before his count returned to normal, and we finally got pregnant on our own.  I can't seem to carry, so that's it own problem, but I do wonder how things might have been different if we'd actually had a chance from the get go.

My advice?  Send your DH to a specialty urologist and GET OFF THE TESTOSTERONE.  Don't waste a year in the dark like we did. 

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:45 PM
How long have you been together?

And...

What's the rush?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM

its only been a few months, relax. start worrying at a year.

stepmom121279
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:47 PM

OUR kids have plenty of good examples set for them by both of us. If you're going to be judgmental you probably shouldn't be chatting online unless that is what you get your kicks from. I'm not interested in what you or anyone else thinks is the proper way of doing things. I am a college educated, hard working mother that gives the best life to my stepchildren. They are well taken care of more so by me than their biological POS mother whom we took custody from.

angirose
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM
2 moms liked this

Just let it happen, Try not to focus so much on getting pregnant. It always happens when your "NOt TryING".....and yes I would do more research on testosterone shot.

stepmom121279
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:51 PM

We've been together 2.5 years. We have been wanting our own child together for pretty much as long as we've known each other. We love our family and want that connection. We are excited to share that with one another. I am almost 25 and am more than ready to have my own. I am at a stage in my life that raising my family is my priority which I am doing but would love my own biological children. 

stepmom121279
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:53 PM

I am TERRIFIED about those stupid testosterone shots, but I also know he needs to be well. His level was so low that he was falling asleep at all hours and during work. He has an important job at our air force base and cannot afford to be so drained. Hoping the Dr. will be able to tell us he can go off of them for a while or something... I know the idea is to "reboot" his body in order for him to make his own testosterone again. 

stepmom121279
by on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Having children is what I want most in the world.... what if I don't get that? I guess we're going to have to speak with his Dr and find out.... and maybe a sperm count if the Dr. can talk him into it.

sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Jan. 25, 2013 at 12:59 PM
2 moms liked this
If you can't have your own, you can always adopt. Or there's surrogates...or you can always just be the best SM any skid would ever want!

Quoting stepmom121279:

Having children is what I want most in the world.... what if I don't get that? I guess we're going to have to speak with his Dr and find out.... and maybe a sperm count if the Dr. can talk him into it.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)