Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

The "I love them like my own" statement.....

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM
  • 406 Replies
9 moms liked this

It completely weirds mothers out.

Here's why...... It denotes that you somehow love my child in the same fashion that I do. And that just is laughable and isnt even possible. So it really ends up making you look like an asshole.

On a weird-o-meter, if you have no children of your own and the child lives with BM, that would be a straight up 10.5!

If you have your own children and BM has custody and/or is a very hands on mom, ranks another impressive 10.5. Why? because you should know better not to lie. No one believes you. No one loves anothers child the same as their own. You are just saying it to sound good to others but it has the opposite effect. People are often left wondering what you poor kids must think. You may treat them as your own, but make no mistake, you do not love your husbands ex's children the same as BM does. Creeeeeepy.

If you have children or no children of your own and you are helping to actually raise the child/ren, mom is gone....dead, I can completely see how someone may adopt this attitude. Some still may not believe it, but it is sweet. And the child is probably happy. This doesnt register on my weird-o-meter.

What say you?

by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gamer_Chick_19
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:30 PM
26 moms liked this
BMs are never happy with anything.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:32 PM
All BMs?

Quoting Gamer_Chick_19:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
baparrot2
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Nothing to do with happiness. I am a SM.

Quoting Gamer_Chick_19:

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM

I would agree but cue the you just don't want SM's to love their sks. As if somehow it goes from you "love them like your own" to you despise the kid with no in between.

packermomof2
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:33 PM
10 moms liked this

Quoting Gamer_Chick_19:

I would be happy with a SM who treated my kids as if they were my kids and wouldn't care if she loved the kids, the same as many others do... as if they are my kids. 

mommamaggi
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
6 moms liked this

I think it depends on how much time you have with them, how young they were when you came into their life and if BM is in the picture. 

I do think it's silly when someone without kids says they love their SKs like they are their own kids... how can you know that if you don't have your own kids?

I also think its silly when the kid was already 2 or 3 or older when you came into their life and you only have them a few days a month... seriously, I can believe that you love that child, but not like its mother. You showed up during the cute phase, you were not there for the sleepless nights, crying for hours till you feel like you're going to pull your hair out and trying everything in your power to get them to fart and stop crying, wondering what you're doing wrong but you're really not doing anything wrong at all. That's when the real love kicks in.

I think if you've been there from the beginning, the first few months, and BM wasn't around then its possible to form that bond and really love that child like your own, but that's a rare situation.

In most cases you can care for your SK like yor own, but you love him like a SK.

Tiff_R_92
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
17 moms liked this
You're dumb and so is this post.
alexxxxx
by New Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:35 PM
40 moms liked this
Would you prefer I say, "I love my stepson as much as I possibly could without having birthed him from my own vagina?"
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Gamer_Chick_19
by on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM
1 mom liked this
there you go

Quoting alexxxxx:

Would you prefer I say, "I love my stepson as much as I possibly could without having birthed him from my own vagina?"

soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM
12 moms liked this

How about "I love my ss" without some qualifer as if it makes you more important to qualify the love.

Quoting alexxxxx:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)