Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

One more reason to hate the CS system

Posted by   + Show Post
I was in the hospital a few weeks ago. I had a two day stay and just got all the bills. They wanted me to apply for assistance since I do not have insurance. I am not married and do not make that much as a single person. I would qualify for food assistance as of right now, since I am not working as much as I do during the summer. It's the slow season for our vacation town and I work at a hotel.

Anyway. I open a letter and it says my application was received. I need to provide proof of my income and federal tax returns for this year, which haven't even been accepted yet. THEN, it tells me I also need to provide SO's proof of income and HIS tax return info!

This is the real kicker. It says to list any outgoing payments made every month. So, we did. And at the bottom it asks if any children are in the household. They share custody, but BM gets to claim SS. Then it says CS cannot be listed as outgoing payment.

Then why the hell do people get to claim their children? Basically what they are saying is, You don't have a child and that CS is actually a part of your income and is in your household. But, the parent receiving CS doesn't have to claim CS and ALSO gets the right to say they pay for another mouth to feed BUT THEY DON'T GET HELP DOING SO, since CS is never included in their income.

I can't be put on SO's insurance but the state can say he is responsible for my hospital bills. Such bullshit.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 29, 2013 at 7:11 PM
Replies (21-24):
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 11:56 AM
That is just the hospital stay. Not included are the respiratory therapist, ER visit, and radiologist. Those are separate bills not counted in the stay. I don't know why.

Quoting DDDaysh:

Only 1500 for two days???

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:04 PM
Their system is screwed up. It's like they want to screw over the non custodial parent as much as possible, even when they do everything they are told and more.

Michigan truly is the worst state to live in if you ever need even a little bit of assistance. I sometimes regret ever moving back here. At least in Phoenix, their system allowed for a single person to make 1200 a month and the state would still assist them with medical if it was needed. In Michigan, the max amount is 550. Like that's enough to even live off of, especially for people with chronic illnesses like me that pay out over $400 just for prescriptions to maintain their illnesses. It makes me sick.

Quoting tiredmama42:

I am in michigan also.  This is true that you cant claim CS as income nor can the paying party count it on taxes.   Michigan seems different from most states from things that I have read.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Michigan. CS isn't considered income for the receiving parent, nor is it considered an expense for the paying parent. That money is considered spendable income for the paying parent.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I am not sure where you are, but in Texas CS received is absolutely counted as income on assistance applications. It was a problem for years because they used to assume people got all the CS they were ordered to get, which often did not happen, but now there is a streamlined state reporting system for it.

I also know that the FAFSA application for adults asks about child support received and includes it as income.

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:33 PM

They want to screw over anyone they can.  Anything from CS to secretary of state or anything that involves the state they give you a hard time.   I applied for reduced lunches being a single mom 2 kids and no child support.  I made 1.25 too much per month on gross.  Which we all know is mostly taken in taxes.  Im with you.. Michigan sucks.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Their system is screwed up. It's like they want to screw over the non custodial parent as much as possible, even when they do everything they are told and more.

Michigan truly is the worst state to live in if you ever need even a little bit of assistance. I sometimes regret ever moving back here. At least in Phoenix, their system allowed for a single person to make 1200 a month and the state would still assist them with medical if it was needed. In Michigan, the max amount is 550. Like that's enough to even live off of, especially for people with chronic illnesses like me that pay out over $400 just for prescriptions to maintain their illnesses. It makes me sick.

Quoting tiredmama42:

I am in michigan also.  This is true that you cant claim CS as income nor can the paying party count it on taxes.   Michigan seems different from most states from things that I have read.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Michigan. CS isn't considered income for the receiving parent, nor is it considered an expense for the paying parent. That money is considered spendable income for the paying parent.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I am not sure where you are, but in Texas CS received is absolutely counted as income on assistance applications. It was a problem for years because they used to assume people got all the CS they were ordered to get, which often did not happen, but now there is a streamlined state reporting system for it.

I also know that the FAFSA application for adults asks about child support received and includes it as income.

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2013 at 12:37 PM

In Mo, when I had to fill out finacial aid for hospital bills it wanted all of the outgoing expenses as well. Right down to what I spent on food, pet care, and gas. I would just divide what you pay in CS and add it to anything you pay for having the kids. Add some to your food bill, some to your clothing bill per month, some to your gas.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)