• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Kay Jewelers TV Commercial

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM
  • 9 Replies

Have you seen it and if so, what do you think? It's a series of commercials (I don't know how many but I've seen two so far) in which they tell a progressive story of an engaged man and woman. The woman has a little girl and the man is getting set to become her step-father. He first gives his fiance a necklace, then gives his fiance's daughter a matching necklace.

It's the first commercial I ever remember seeing that addresses an emerging step-family sitation as a heartwarming, feel good event. It's nice to see it acknowledged since there are so many households in this country with this dynamic, yet also strange to me that a jewelry company would choose to go that route in their advertising.

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
blondepegasus
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM

Here is a link to one of them. Everything I saw online when looking for this called it a "creepy" commercial...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-vGUxyrthA&feature=player_embedded

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:41 PM

I saw it.  I thought it was cheesy.  :-/

CometGirl
by Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:47 PM

I've seen it and I instantly didn't like it though I can't put my finger on why I dislike it.

Birdseed
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:49 PM

I think it's kind of creepy.  If I were BF and involved in my kids' life, I think I'd find it quite maddening actually.  The WORDS are nice, but giving a little kid expensive jewelry that matches Mom's? Meh.  I dunno.  Creepy.

kristinbugg
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 12:57 PM
It is creepy.

However, it does bring to mind another topic. I noticed that more cartoons are making blended families a subject. My SDs like Phineas & Ferb. They also like Sofia The First. Both families are blended.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:03 PM
2 moms liked this
I think more kisses begin with liquor, not Kay....
AtillaTheHun
by facta, non verba on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I really liked the one where the girl gets the necklace from her stb SF :) It´s so sweet!

I agree. It does show a different side of step-families. I don´t find it strange they would use this in a commercial, I think they just realized there are other occasions for something like this besides the usual wedding, birthday, anniversary etc. They are thinking outside the box :) 

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 1:41 PM
2 moms liked this

Ain't nobody supposed to have bling like momma!  Just saying....

newstepmom61811
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I find the angle interesting...it's all so happy...little girl says thank you, mommy says thank you staring into soon to be SFs eyes...my first thoughts were...what would all the BFs who are out there think of this, the ones who are in their kids lives and do things for their little princesses. And second what hell would be unleashed by the public if it showed a soon to be SM buying a gift to bond with SKs...like a SD a cute ring or a SS a ball and glove? BMs would be ALL over that advertising. I think it's a silly commercial...fluff, tries waaaayyy too hard.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)