Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If you recieve child support how do u spend it?

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM
  • 81 Replies
1 mom liked this

I have 3 kids that are not my husbands and i get child support for them and he also has 2 other children that are not mine and then we have one together. he feels like i should use my child support for everyone, including buying him stuff and paying the bills. we always fight about it cause i feel like i should just be spending it onthe 3 kids that its for and he just sees it completly differently from me. i feel like its for my kids, its not new husband and stepkid support its child support for my 3 children. do u spend your child support on your stepkids and husband?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:02 PM

No, I spend it on my 2 kids. I pay for their "extras" like EC's or if they need anything. I don't use it on my SD or my DH.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:06 PM
3 moms liked this

Child support is meant to support the kids.  And that means everything from the mortgage to keeping the lights on to putting food on the table and clothes on their backs. Your job as Mom is to make sure that stuff happens for your kids.   There's no "rule" about how you have to spend that money.  Some of us  paying child support sure wish that the money would go towards the kids' needs and not Mom's haircuts, nails and drinks out wiht the girls, but that's not our call.

As long as the kids are being cared for, it is what it is.

Were I in your shoes, I would take a look at the household expenses and budget and work something out that was fair.  You've got 6 kids in the house.  That support is meant to go towards 3.

nyomilooney
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:09 PM

does he ever  ask u to spend it on his kid?

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:10 PM
9 moms liked this

We're using my child support for my husband and I to go to Aruba in March.

My Ex's wife pays his cs for him.

Thanks SM! 

angirose
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I do pay half for bills and half for needs of the child. Its meant for all aspects of caring for the child which does include costs of the roof over their heads and food in their bellies. I also spend some of it on a occational basis on the skids. They are as much my family as my son is. Just my opinion. My son never goes without, never has, regardless of child support.

Mommyandme878
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this
I use mine for the basics.. Diapers, food, clothes, toys, ext... And whatevers left I put in his college fund. So no, I do not spend it on my fiancé, but then again he never asks.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SP_Mama
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:16 PM
Well, should DH ever start receiving the $100 a month from BM, it will go in the checking account with the rest of our money.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this

If this is directed at me, no he doesn't. He pays BM CS (DH shares 50/50 custody of SD) and it hardly ever goes to SD. He sees that and it upsets him. He would never ask me to spend my CS on anything other than my kids.

Quoting nyomilooney:

does he ever  ask u to spend it on his kid?

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:18 PM
4 moms liked this

I think I am jealous of the ones who actually get support.  I would use it toward groceries and keeping the lights on and heat.. whereever it was a neccessary.  Hate struggling all the time. 

LovingMy2x4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:20 PM

My ex held out on CS for a very long time. I supported my kids all on my own. When that first BIG check came in, I went shopping. I looked at it as him paying me back :)

Quoting whatIknownow:

We're using my child support for my husband and I to go to Aruba in March.

My Ex's wife pays his cs for him.

Thanks SM! 

*J*

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)