Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If you recieve child support how do u spend it?

Posted by   + Show Post

I have 3 kids that are not my husbands and i get child support for them and he also has 2 other children that are not mine and then we have one together. he feels like i should use my child support for everyone, including buying him stuff and paying the bills. we always fight about it cause i feel like i should just be spending it onthe 3 kids that its for and he just sees it completly differently from me. i feel like its for my kids, its not new husband and stepkid support its child support for my 3 children. do u spend your child support on your stepkids and husband?

by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
LovingMy2x4
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:22 PM

I put some in savings for my kids... put some towards the bills... and some towards their EC's, Christmas, Birthdays, and whatever else they need. I dont look at it as my kids "fun" money. It is used to make sure they are taken care of. If that benefits other people in the process (such as being able to afford a nicer home) than good for them.

viv212
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I am actually really tempted to buy things I shouldn't with my CS this month. I'm not going to lie. I justify it because I went 11 years with no CS so this money I can use on me.

OP- I usually only spend it on my dd but I do ocassionally use the money for the house to keep functioning. I think not using to buy groceries is a little selfish if you need to put food on the table but at the same time, don't let it become a habit to only spend it on bills. Then when your kids need something, where is the money going to come from? Your husband?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

I want to go shopping, take a vacation .. farthest I go is Meijers..lol

Quoting LovingMy2x4:

My ex held out on CS for a very long time. I supported my kids all on my own. When that first BIG check came in, I went shopping. I looked at it as him paying me back :)

Quoting whatIknownow:

We're using my child support for my husband and I to go to Aruba in March.

My Ex's wife pays his cs for him.

Thanks SM! 

ajanejr
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:23 PM

This...DH'S goes out. If and when mine comes in, it's very, very little!!!

Quoting tiredmama42:

I think I am jealous of the ones who actually get support.  I would use it toward groceries and keeping the lights on and heat.. whereever it was a neccessary.  Hate struggling all the time. 

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:29 PM

DH gets $6.93 per week for his 3 kids. It just goes in the bank.

Bella14308
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:33 PM
My xh transfers cs for the baby right into my checking scct so it mixes into the bill money.

my other 2 kids cs goes through the state onto a seperate debit card. that goes to their needs/wants. whether its clothes books toys or birthday party.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
soonergirl980
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:37 PM
2 moms liked this

CS is for supporting the child so if he is asking for it to help pay bills that your kids help incur then he is perfectly reasonable.

nyomilooney
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:40 PM
1 mom liked this

i do help my dh pay bills with it and food, i was just meaning as he expects me to every time i buy clothes or school function for my kids he expects me to buy his kids stuff with it to and buy him stuff if hes wanting something. he cashes his check and his money stays in his pocket, he doesnt give me a dime of it.hes suppose to get child support from his ex but she wont keep a job so he doesnt get anything. he will get upset with me if i buy my kids clothes or something they need with my child support without asking him first. i dont see why i need to ask him when the money is coming from there dad, not him.

sid1083
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM

About 75% goes to daycare. The rest gets spent on various things for the kids.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

i spend it on what i choose HOWEVER i keep a separate account and my SO does not tell me how to spend my money. i dont account for every dollar i spend it on.. a few here and there might get spent on a skid.. but my SO knows better than to expect or demand me to.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)