Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

austin tx

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 12 Replies
Ne 1 live in the area that can tell me areas to steer clear from? I had an interview today for a HUGE promotion there that will take us to Austin if I get it. I've never been further south than Waco so no idea
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
andie646c
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this

Everywhere!

Driving in that town is crazy.

:p

Good luck! Everyone moves from my town to there so it can't be too bad ;) 

needsupport100
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:12 PM
What r some surrounding cities? I currently drive about 15 miles to work...with traffic, it takes about an hour

Quoting andie646c:

Everywhere!

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:14 PM
Where are you from now? If you don't mind me asking. I am in Ft Worth. I have only been through Austin. I've never visited although I think I need to put it on my bucket list since it is our capital lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
needsupport100
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:19 PM
Outskirts of okc
andie646c
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:28 PM

Idk ... I live on the other side of the state. I've visited friends there and it's a really pretty town. The streets go way high into the air though and it's just terrifying to me. Getting from one side of Austin to the other can take upwards of 3-4 hours in rush hour. So, if you get the job, make sure to ask them what area of Austin is best to live in to avoid the highway on your way to work.

Quoting needsupport100:

What r some surrounding cities? I currently drive about 15 miles to work...with traffic, it takes about an hour

Quoting andie646c:

Everywhere!

needsupport100
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:41 PM
That's y I'm inquiring now because we may not be able to "scope " the area first. It will prob be get housing set up and head s. Idk just yet

Quoting andie646c:

Idk ... I live on the other side of the state. I've visited friends there and it's a really pretty town. The streets go way high into the air though and it's just terrifying to me. Getting from one side of Austin to the other can take upwards of 3-4 hours in rush hour. So, if you get the job, make sure to ask them what area of Austin is best to live in to avoid the highway on your way to work.

Quoting needsupport100:

Quoting andie646c:

Everywhere!

andie646c
by Silver Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Remember that just because your pay increases doesn't mean standard of living will ... everything is more expensive in this state. Last month I went to Ruidoso, on the way we stopped for gas and I filled up at $2.80 a gallon ... when I filled up before leaving TX it was 3.98 per gallon. That increase is seen from housing to daycare costs.

Quoting needsupport100:

That's y I'm inquiring now because we may not be able to "scope " the area first. It will prob be get housing set up and head s. Idk just yet

Quoting andie646c:

Quoting needsupport100:

Quoting andie646c:

Everywhere!

caelynandcody
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:48 PM
Kyle is a great little town just south of Austin if you don't mind a short commute. A ton of Austin commuters live there. But depending on where in Austin the job is, there are some really great suburbs as well.
mamakenzi
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 8:50 PM
I'm just north of Fort Worth. OP Round Rock and Georgetown are northern suburbs and are really nice areas.

Quoting momof2ex1:

Where are you from now? If you don't mind me asking. I am in Ft Worth. I have only been through Austin. I've never visited although I think I need to put it on my bucket list since it is our capital lol
newstepmom61811
by on Jan. 31, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
OMG you will love it! Great part of Texas, visit all the time. Overall not a high crime city. Unlike Dallas and Houston that definitely have "wrong side of the tracks" parts of town, Austin doesn't have that rep. Driving is hell congested. Areas around Austin are awesome. In Fredricksberg is a German area with great biergartens, also Texas' wine country, wineries and tastings all around there. Also are some great areas to explore: enchanted rock for hiking, dinosaur valley. Great shopping in Austin. It is a great area, I'm a Houston native, Austin is a regular weekend vacation spot for DH and I, we love it.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)