Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Insurance/CS/Review

Posted by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM
  • 17 Replies
Trying to keep this short and to the point-

BM is pregnant. BF is not around currently and isn't helping her with finances. Because of this, she decided to drop her health insurance, which SS was covered under. He is now on Medicaid. SO was covering 65% of the insurance cost, which was about 100 a month.

Also, they skipped a review last year due to other things going on. Lots of back and forth and now things are calmed down. SS is still staying more than what is ordered.

Should SO contact FoC to have a review done?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:31 AM

If he's going to be ok with possibly being ordered to pay more sure.  Has the state come after him for the medicaid reimbursement yet?

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I'm not an attorney and an attorney would be the best person for him to speak to.

He's certainly within his rights to request a review as is BM.  However, he will likely end up paying more unless his employment has changed in the negative.  Depending on the state, they may/may not count the extra time that SS is with you guys towards the CS.  In MI, they did not look at the historical amount of $$ paid OVER the required CS nor the extra time that the kids were with us.  They based the new calculation solely on the moving forward model. So unless he's getting the the visitation/custody stuff changed legally too, it's likely he'll end up paying more in CS since she now has/will have another dependent.

Like I said...I'm not an attorney and I've only got our experience in our state to fall back on.  

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:47 AM
It is $20 a month. Which is why we were talking about the review thing. Not only is he paying $115 a month for insurance that is no longer valid, but he is paying 20 on top of that to cover Medicaid. BM also took him out of daycare. He goes to her parents house after school now, so SO is also paying more than half of the cost of daycare and SS doesn't go.

He would not be ordered to pay more, as nothing has changed financially on his end. The only things that have changed are the insurance, daycare, and how much SO has SS, which like I said, is more often than was in the original CO.

He also wants to see if he can claim SS every other year since they are basically doing 50/50 now.

Quoting Polkadotted:

If he's going to be ok with possibly being ordered to pay more sure.  Has the state come after him for the medicaid reimbursement yet?

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 11:51 AM
I looked up Michigan CS law. Her new dependent will not effect his end of CS because it has nothing to do with him. I thought the same thing, but Michigan has updated their laws. Just like if we had a kid, it wouldn't matter, he would still be ordered to pay the same amount.

BM has most likely gotten raises. SO was capped a couple years ago.

Quoting Birdseed:

I'm not an attorney and an attorney would be the best person for him to speak to.

He's certainly within his rights to request a review as is BM.  However, he will likely end up paying more unless his employment has changed in the negative.  Depending on the state, they may/may not count the extra time that SS is with you guys towards the CS.  In MI, they did not look at the historical amount of $$ paid OVER the required CS nor the extra time that the kids were with us.  They based the new calculation solely on the moving forward model. So unless he's getting the the visitation/custody stuff changed legally too, it's likely he'll end up paying more in CS since she now has/will have another dependent.

Like I said...I'm not an attorney and I've only got our experience in our state to fall back on.  

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:17 PM
I forgot to add, yes he wants to get the visitation part changed, as well. I don't know why this wasn't all done after the temporary order was thrown out, but they reverted back to the original order.

This is very frustrating and annoying.

If the original order (made when they divorced in 2006!) says that the NCP gets one over night on the weekend and then has visitation on Tuesdays until 7pm, but for the last three years the child has been staying the night three nights or more every week with CPs permission, and NCP didn't want to change it legally because they weren't too worried about it at the time, but now wants it in the CO because CP is sort of doing everything she can to make sure she is getting all the money she can....do you think the judge is going to ask NCP why he wants it in the order now?

SO is worried that BM is going to try deny him the nights he has SS that aren't ordered. He's also worried if he tries to get it put in the order, the judge is going to ask why he didn't do it sooner. The reason was that he didn't want to fight BM and was afraid the judge would side with her and SO wouldn't see SS much.

Money isn't really the factor, however since she hasn't reported any changes in her income, her insurance, or the childcare, SO just wants to be sure he isn't getting the shaft. If he ends up paying the same amount, it isn't a big deal. He is more worried that if he tries to get the current arrangement put in the order, she will try to take that time away.

I just wondered if the insurance and childcare thing is a big deal in the court. She is basically lying about how much she pays for those things and keeping the cash to pay for her other kid....

Quoting Birdseed:

amantonacci
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 12:27 PM
Why would he be paying her $100 for insurance she doesn't have? And are her parents charging to watch the kid?
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Because the cost of the insurance was figured into CS. So was childcare. So since she dropped the insurance', he is paying $80 more for insurance than he needs to. Her parents don't charge her. Actually he picked SS from there last week after he had a snow day and BMs mother is the one that told SO that.

Quoting amantonacci:

Why would he be paying her $100 for insurance she doesn't have? And are her parents charging to watch the kid?

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Okay I see what you are saying now. Dh has an order that has one lower amount if e is providing insurance, and another higher amount if he isn't ( he always has). Bc your so isn't providing insurance they may not remove it but they would likely require she provide proof of child are payments or remove that portion.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Because the cost of the insurance was figured into CS. So was childcare. So since she dropped the insurance', he is paying $80 more for insurance than he needs to. Her parents don't charge her. Actually he picked SS from there last week after he had a snow day and BMs mother is the one that told SO that.

Quoting amantonacci:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM
She should have gone straight to SO when she decided to drop SS from her insurance. She did it without his knowledge like she does everything else. It is very, very frustrating for SO and then, for me since I have to hear it. :-\ To some it may seem petty but it is another reason for SO to not trust anything BM says or does.

Quoting MommySabs:

Okay I see what you are saying now. Dh has an order that has one lower amount if e is providing insurance, and another higher amount if he isn't ( he always has). Bc your so isn't providing insurance they may not remove it but they would likely require she provide proof of child are payments or remove that portion.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Quoting amantonacci:

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Feb. 1, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Were they credits she got so it upped his portion of CS?  ... Also if her income has gone up and your state does the each parent is responsible for a certain percentage then it could mean this... her percentage will go up but so will the overall income that you all have to split.  Might not change a thing or you may have to a pay a little more.... Also I don't know if you are like KS but here there are 3 age groups and as the child passes into each group the CS goes up.

Quoting ManicAttack:

Quoting amantonacci:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)