Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do CSM have more 'rights' than a NCSM? What can a CSM do that a NCSM can't?

Differences? Stepchildren live in the same home as the CSM while they visit the home where the NCSM lives with their Dad, right?

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:20 AM
Replies (31-34):
chanizen
by Platinum Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
No. More influence? Yes. More access, yes. More rights? No.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
shekyram
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 1:37 AM
Power of Attorney

Quoting mamaBerg85:

What is POA?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

It depends on the situation.

As a CSM, I have a POA giving me all rights basically, BM has less since DH has sole legal custody.  I can take SD to the dr, change her records at school, dismiss her from school...all things BM can't do.

My DSs SM is NCSM and she has no real 'rights' but I am super involved so there is no reason for her to.  She only sees DS a few hours a month.

I guess though I would think most CSMs have more rights since they are mostly raising the child with dad.  Typically a NCSM only sees the child EOWE or something similar, so they don't need a lot of 'rights' since they aren't really raising the child the majority of the time.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:17 PM

I think you are correct, the difference lies in the role and authority of the other parent. There are no special rights otherwise.

Quoting momof2ex1:

This is where I think the difference is. It's not really who the child lives with but IF the other parent has any rights or is completely absent. My ex is NCP. He isn't around except every other weekend. Never a moment during the week by his own choice but he still is not considered 'absent'. So there is no reason for my husband to step up because she does have a minimally active father. If he did not have any rights and he was never around, my husband might step in to a more active 'father' type roll. I also believe it is different between men and women. Where I don't need my husband to do parenting things, maybe your husband needs help with his daughter bc she doesn't have a 'mother' to teach her lady things.. Although some might argue that there is no reason why a dad can't talk to his daughter about sex and periods, quite frankly I know many men that would prefer not to and would delegate that to mom or his spouse. Make sense?

Quoting TJandKarasMom:

It depends on the situation.

As a CSM, I have a POA giving me all rights basically, BM has less since DH has sole legal custody.  I can take SD to the dr, change her records at school, dismiss her from school...all things BM can't do.

My DSs SM is NCSM and she has no real 'rights' but I am super involved so there is no reason for her to.  She only sees DS a few hours a month.

I guess though I would think most CSMs have more rights since they are mostly raising the child with dad.  Typically a NCSM only sees the child EOWE or something similar, so they don't need a lot of 'rights' since they aren't really raising the child the majority of the time.

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

3munschkins
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 12:34 PM
2 moms liked this

As a CSM I don't feel I have any more rights (legally) than when I was NCSM. 

Do I have more authority and leaway with things yes.   Do I have more say in the kids daily lives, yes.  But legal rights, nope.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)