Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Poll

Question: Which best describes your role as stepmother? or your child (ren)'s stepmother? http://missourifamilies.org/features/divorcearticles/divorcefeature52.htm

Options:

Almost a mom. When a child thinks of the stepmother as mom-like, but loyalty remains with the biological mother.

A good friend. A close relationship may develop over the years.

Mediator. The stepmother’s intervention can benefit the father/child relationship.

Civil and polite. When the stepmother/child relationship is not close, but not awful either.

Interloper. When the stepmother is viewed as “in the way” of a relationship between the child and the father. The child feels jealous and the relationship does not improve over time.

Wicked stepmother. Children tolerate their stepmother, but avoid her as often as possible.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 118

View Results

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
Replies (41-44):
Rbrown72707
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:45 PM

I have 4 step children.  I think I could pick a different option for each one!

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 9:35 PM
Not sure. Between 1 and 2?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lasttime
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 4:44 AM

This is kinda my situation too.  And it keeps changing over the years.  Depending on whether mom wants them to like me that week or not.

Right now my step daughter (15) has just decided to "move in" with us and do the visitation with her mom...after her mom told her to get the hell out of her house 5 times in the last few months.  Previously my step daughter just put up with me (at about 12 she hated me and my daughter and didn't want to come over) but now I think she's beginning to realize some things...like that mom's been brainwashing them all these years.  She told her dad, "I think that mom has been trying to get us to hate you guys all these years" the other day.

Now that my SS is 13, he's kinda going thru the same thing.  There's a lot being put into his head, especially with his sister moving in here and he's thinking he needs to take sides and be loyal to mom.  So, while I seem to be getting along with my SD now...I think my SS is now just tolerating me.  We'll see what happens with him in the next few years.

All I know is that it's been hell with all of the ups and downs (many downs)...

Quoting QueenBof6:

It depends

To my SD I am almost a mom, good friend and mediator.

To my SS I am the bottom 3. And sometimes the mediator.

This is how they view me. My SD and I are very close. We have a great bond. She appreciates my presence. Respects my place in the home and family. My SS however dislikes me very much. He has no respect for me and looks at me woth deep hate in his eyes sometimes. They have the same mother. Sd is 11 and SS is 8. I have my theories on why he feels this way about me.

pinkielola
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 8:00 AM
Im the first three. When SO has SS(20 months) i help with changing and playing with him. I dont attend doctors appts by choice cuz BM is there and shes just plain vile.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN