Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Some interesting custody facts

Posted by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM
  • 26 Replies

http://www.census.gov/prod/2011pubs/p60-240.pdf

The majority of custodial parents were mothers (82.2 percent), and about 1 in 6 (17.8 percent) were fathers, proportions which were not statistically different from 1994.8

About 44.2 percent of custodial mothers were currently divorced or separated and 36.8 percent had never been married. The remaining mothers consisted of 18.0 percent who were currently married (54.8 percent of whom were divorced but remarried), and 1.1 percent who were widowed.9 Custodial fathers were more likely than custodial mothers to be divorced or separated (53.5 percent) and less likely to have never married (24.7 percent).

The poverty rate of custodial mothers in 2009 (30.4 percent) was significantly
higher than the poverty rate for custodial fathers (18.8 percent).

The proportion of custodial fathers with child support agreements or awards has historically been lower than the proportion of custodial mothers and continued to be lower in 2010 (30.4 percent).

Thoughts?

by on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM

Custodial fathers were ~18%, a little over half remarry, so that says about 9% of stepmothers are CSMs and that group seem to drive the high divorce figures for second marriages.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 2, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I wish I had the numbers for my county.  It would be interesting to compare.

Quoting leegirl_jm:

Custodial fathers were ~18%, a little over half remarry, so that says about 9% of stepmothers are CSMs and that group seem to drive the high divorce figures for second marriages.

tazlover01
by Member on Feb. 3, 2013 at 4:54 PM

I think those numbers are interesting, but they make sense. Most women make the decision to have children based on two incomes. When they no longer have that additional income they go into poverty. Especially since men usually make more than women. And usually when a dad gets custody it's because the mother is so unstable she can't provide child support so it makes sense that there is significant diff in support receipt. 

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 5:34 AM
2 moms liked this
Which explains so many unplanned births.

This is not correct. Maybe YOU thought you would have two incomes because you were responsible or whatever, but an unmarried woman cannot plan to have two incomes and decide to get pregnant. She KNOWS that she has one income, or deludes herself into thinking that her plus baby equals a man proposing or taking care of her.

Which is irresponsible.

Which is why I never feel sorry for women that get pregnant and the dad wants nothing to do with the kids. It is sad and disgusting for fathers to do this but as women, we hold the power since we get pregnant. We need to act more responsibly to protect ourselves and our possible children and not holding ourselves responsible is proving we really aren't responsible at all.

Sorry for the rant.

Quoting tazlover01:

I think those numbers are interesting, but they make sense. Most women make the decision to have children based on two incomes. When they no longer have that additional income they go into poverty. Especially since men usually make more than women. And usually when a dad gets custody it's because the mother is so unstable she can't provide child support so it makes sense that there is significant diff in support receipt. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Pero1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 6:00 AM

Quoting ManicAttack:

This is not correct. Maybe YOU thought you would have two incomes because you were responsible or whatever, but an unmarried woman cannot plan to have two incomes and decide to get pregnant. She KNOWS that she has one income, or deludes herself into thinking that her plus baby equals a man proposing or taking care of her.

Which is irresponsible.

Which is why I never feel sorry for women that get pregnant and the dad wants nothing to do with the kids. It is sad and disgusting for fathers to do this but as women, we hold the power since we get pregnant. We need to act more responsibly to protect ourselves and our possible children and not holding ourselves responsible is proving we really aren't responsible at all.

Sorry for the rant.

That's a bit simplistic.

1. Marriage means two incomes as long as you remain married. Once you get divorced, one income goes (since there no longer is spousal maintenance).
  2. There are plenty of children born to mothers who do protect themselves. My DD is one of them.
  3. Can't men protect themselves as well?

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 7:15 AM

Quoting Pero1:

Quoting ManicAttack:

Which is irresponsible.

Sorry for the rant.

That's a bit simplistic.

1. Marriage means two incomes as long as you remain married. Once you get divorced, one income goes (since there no longer is spousal maintenance). (There isn't spousal support anymore in your country? I though you lived in the UK. That is unfortunate especially where wives have contributed to building the wealth of their husbands, we have still it, thank goodness)
  2. There are plenty of children born to mothers who do protect themselves. My DD is one of them.
  3. Can't men protect themselves as well? They do, they run away or just send a cheque, the greater burden is left on the women.

Wife, Mother and Career Woman living in Jamaica

Pero1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM

Quoting leegirl_jm:

That's a bit simplistic.

1. Marriage means two incomes as long as you remain married. Once you get divorced, one income goes (since there no longer is spousal maintenance). (There isn't spousal support anymore in your country? I though you lived in the UK. That is unfortunate especially where wives have contributed to building the wealth of their husbands, we have still it, thank goodness)
  3. Can't men protect themselves as well? They do, they run away or just send a cheque, the greater burden is left on the women.

It's maybe not as clear-cut as in the US, but you'd have to be married for years and years to get a decent payment (or take care of very young children). You'd have to have given up your career to raise the kids and support your DH by ensuring the household is run properly. Plus your ability to maintain yourself in the future would be taken into account. 50-something year old woman, housewife for 30+ years ... yup, in that case you'd get a significant amount, because who on Earth would hire you?

The big payments are really only for celebrities ...

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pero1:

Quoting leegirl_jm:

That's a bit simplistic.

It's maybe not as clear-cut as in the US, but you'd have to be married for years and years to get a decent payment (or take care of very young children). You'd have to have given up your career to raise the kids and support your DH by ensuring the household is run properly. Plus your ability to maintain yourself in the future would be taken into account. 50-something year old woman, housewife for 30+ years ... yup, in that case you'd get a significant amount, because who on Earth would hire you?

The big payments are really only for celebrities ...

I  know, Jamaica is a commonwealth country and we study English law for the most part, being a QC is the aim of our lawyers. Significant awards are made for long term marriages, I think the important thing though from Manic's post is the income that is available to the child, very separate from the spousal support, even in the US, the lifestyle of the child is required to be maintained and usually the CS awards are dependent on the father's income.

Pero1
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:17 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting leegirl_jm:

I  know, Jamaica is a commonwealth country and we study English law for the most part, being a QC is the aim of our lawyers. Significant awards are made for long term marriages, I think the important thing though from Manic's post is the income that is available to the child, very separate from the spousal support, even in the US, the lifestyle of the child is required to be maintained and usually the CS awards are dependent on the father's income.

CS is dependent on the NCP's income as well, but it's different than in the US. Over here, it's 15% of his/her income for the first child, I think 20% two kids etc. etc. Only if the NCP earns exorbitant amounts this changes, but we are talking loads of money.

It is irrelevant how much the CP can contribute (if any) ... the 15% stand. Oh, and if the NCP earns zero, it means that he pays 15% of zero ... which is zero, obviously. So loosing your job means no CS (the CP can then apply for benefits)/

leegirl_jm
by Ruby Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Pero1:

Quoting leegirl_jm:

CS is dependent on the NCP's income as well, but it's different than in the US. Over here, it's 15% of his/her income for the first child, I think 20% two kids etc. etc. Only if the NCP earns exorbitant amounts this changes, but we are talking loads of money.

It is irrelevant how much the CP can contribute (if any) ... the 15% stand. Oh, and if the NCP earns zero, it means that he pays 15% of zero ... which is zero, obviously. So loosing your job means no CS (the CP can then apply for benefits)/

Indeed, same thing here, which is why women should have children and factor only their own incomes providing for their children, since they don't have control over the other parent.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)