Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SK's and House keys?

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
  • 66 Replies

Ok My SK's are almost 9 and 10 so they're not quite ready for keys anyways but I guess I'm just curious.  Do you ladies give your SK's keys to your house?  Maybe if they're school aged and they stay home alone after school till someone gets home from work?  Have you ever had a problem with BM getting ahold of your key?  BM in my situation is nutty and would DEFINITLEY come to my house if she had the chance.  Well...If she ever decides to show her face again.  This MAY be completely irrelevant one day but still.  I'm just wondering what you ladies do.

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:37 AM
No, they aren't old.enough to be home alone, but my home is equipped with cameras and automation devices so if anyone was dumb enough to come in they would be caught.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
leegirl_jm
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:43 AM

No keys for the children, someone is always home.

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:46 AM
No but someday she will have one. Sd is 8 only sees mom over breaks.
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 10:50 AM
My dh doesn't even have a house key, lol. We rarely lock the house completely up, so no need for keys for kids. I don't think bm would come in our house though, I do think dss would lose the keys in the first 5 minutes lol love the kid but he is a Bit dingy :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

I don't mean BREAK IN....I mean like make a copy of your key so she could have it something crazy.  Some BM's are like that.

Quoting luckystars2012:

No, they aren't old.enough to be home alone, but my home is equipped with cameras and automation devices so if anyone was dumb enough to come in they would be caught.

dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:41 AM

So you don't worry about BM making a copy of your key or anything?

Quoting mamaBerg85:

No but someday she will have one. Sd is 8 only sees mom over breaks.

dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:42 AM

I worry about this too.  I always had a house key...STILL have a key to my moms house.

Quoting MommySabs:

My dh doesn't even have a house key, lol. We rarely lock the house completely up, so no need for keys for kids. I don't think bm would come in our house though, I do think dss would lose the keys in the first 5 minutes lol love the kid but he is a Bit dingy :)

Ealane2011
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM

SD isn't quite old enough for a house key right now. We only get her every other weekend, so there is no need for one. When she is older she will not be getting one unless custody changes. I still wouldn't be comfortable giving her one. I am SAHM and will be WAHM pretty soon, so I am constantly home anyways.

Mommynwife26
by Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:45 AM
We have a key pad entry, so the kids will have their own codes and it will be set so the code will only work between certain times ao if they need to come in after school we will have the code only be working betwern 3-4 or whatever. So I wont ever have to worry about someone else getting a hold of a key. But I wouldnt give them one if bm would use it!
dbush0584
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:49 AM

I guess I should have been more specific...I meant like if you have primary custody of SK's.  I could see "someone" trying to make a copy of a key and be sneaky.  People are crazy these days and cant be trusted.  Maybe I'm just being paranoid. LMAO!

Quoting Ealane2011:

SD isn't quite old enough for a house key right now. We only get her every other weekend, so there is no need for one. When she is older she will not be getting one unless custody changes. I still wouldn't be comfortable giving her one. I am SAHM and will be WAHM pretty soon, so I am constantly home anyways.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)