Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Medical POA for step kids

Posted by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM
  • 7 Replies

Does anyone know if there is a form online that we can fill out and have it work for a medical POA incase I need it since my DH works out of town a lot and I have his kids?  Of course it would need to be notorized.

Do both BM and dad need to sign it?

Thanks in Advance

by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
packermomof2
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:29 PM

I would hope both parents would need to sign something like that giving a third party the right to make important decisions for their children.  If both parents are involved, that is. If both are and dad is gone but mom is close mom can just take care of it.

DDDaysh
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:48 PM

It depends on who has custody.  

I was able to authorize care for my SD without a POA.  I just carried around a letter from my (now ex) that said I could authorize care for her.  Her BM wasn't exactly around to question it though.  

DDDaysh
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:50 PM

I've also given my mother notes to take my son to the doctor once or twice.  It hasn't been a big deal, but it's also only been to the local doctor who knows who I am and knows who she is, so I don't know if there would have been a bigger fuss about it another place. 

Jenn_A
by on Feb. 4, 2013 at 11:57 PM

If there is joint custody then both parents need to sign. If you husband has primary, then he only needs to sign. If BM is involved, I would hope she knows if you seek medical care, though. I could see a well child check or something.....my ex doesn't hear everything about that stuff, but he knows within a half hour if there is an emergency.

luckystars2012
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:01 AM
It's a good idea to have a notarized poa, and yes only dad needs to notarize it. However you do still need to make sure that any stipulations in the CO about notifying bm ate followed. For example when J and Bm shared custody if ss needed emergency care they each had to notify the OP upon arrival.at the ER, withi15 minutes, if not before. And they had joint decision making power.over medical care.

J is sole.cp now and the new CO has no such stipulations, however if ss needed to go.to the ER we would still let bm know even though she has no say in it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I would think that if your husband is handing over his parental responsibility to you, that yes mom needs to be informed of that decision concerning her children. Anything outside of an emergency, mom should probably handle when he is not available. Is mom ok for you to have the kids while dad is out of town?

In an emergency, mom could meet you at the ER and you wouldn't need any kind of POA.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tryshx
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 7:27 AM

I have PoA for my SS and only DH was required to sign it because BM lives 3 hours away from us and the PoA only gives me rights when SS is in DH's care.  It's joint custody (we have primary), but before I got the PoA I just had a notorized letter from DH stating that I was autorized to make medical decisions in case of emergency when he couldn't take SS to the doctor or dentist himself.

And there are a few websites that you can get a PoA from but I think you have to pay a small amount for it...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN