Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do you like your SKs names?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
  • 94 Replies

I think it’s funny to see a blended family, where the kids names are incredibly different. My name had a unique spelling and all of my siblings had standard names. Everyone was always shocked when I introduced my stepbrothers, because they were expecting something a little more flashy.

Anyways, I’m curious – do you like your step kids names? Is it something you’d ever name your own children? Would you follow the trend if you had future children (example : biblical names, old fashioned names, top twenty names, names that start with the same letter, etc.)

edit : wowzers, I wasn't expecting this many replies so quickly.  O:

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:18 AM

I like them.  DH and BM used a theme with the girls and they both agreed not to continue it if wither of them had more girls.

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
My dss is named after my dh, so I like the name :) . I did say when I was pregnant (with it turns out a girl) that I was glad that I didn't have to worry about doing the jr thing (its a pet peeve of mine actually I would never jr my kid but everyone else where I live does it). Bc bm already had that covered.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
andie646c
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:23 AM

I do not like their names ... they are very odd. SO continued a "trend" sorta with our DD. OSS has a name that starts with "A" and YSS has a name that starts with "B" my DS (with my ex) has a name that starts with "C".

Notice the A, B, C pattern?

My pattern for my children was that they all ended with the "ee" sound. So, Annie and Charlie.

To keep with the ABC pattern, we had to come up with a name that started with a B (since the first girl was an A and ended with the ee sound. Thus we have Bailey.

Idk if BM and SO had planned the ABC thing together or if it was a coincidence and my son just happened to fall into it and make him see it, lol.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I love my stepson's name:)  My husband picked it out.  Its an old family name so I can honestly say I would have named him the same thing if I was his bio mom. 

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM

I like their names.  They are probably not names I would've chosen if I'd had a daughter, mostly because if I were to have a daughter I would want to incorporate some family names, but they're lovely.

SD15 and I share the same middle name (along with 1/2 the women in America I think!  LOL)  

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I like my stepkid's names.  They are all biblical, and my two kids' names are also biblical, so the trend is preserved. All the names go together.

Only weird thing is, my SD13 was originally going to be named the same thing as my DD21. But luckily they decided on a different name. I have often wondered how we would even handle that.

QueenBof6
by Silver Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:30 AM
My SO and his ex did the same letter thing. Both their names start with an s and are very common. Do I like them, meh. Not something I would choose for my kids. But I don't dislike them.

My kids names are uncommon as is mine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DDDaysh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

I didn't particularly like my former SD's name, and never would have used it myself, but I didn't hate it or anything.  DS's name did have the same letter as her name, but I think that was more accidental than anything, as it was a name I'd liked for a long time before I even met ex. 

I think the name of my ex's newest child is absolutely awful, but I've since disovered that it's actually a family name on the mother's side, so I understand it a little bit more. 

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:32 AM

SD's name, no.  SS's name, yes.  SD has a very trendy name and an odd spelling.  No one spells this child's name right.  Close members of my own family, who've known and been interactng with SD for several years now, still can't manage to get her name right.  Siri (iPhone) can't even say her name right, lol.  It's not a name I'd have ever picked for my own kid.  SS is named after DH and has a great name. 

DDDaysh
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 11:35 AM

My cousin and his wife have the same first name.  When they had their first child, alot of people wanted them to name the kid that too...  thankfully his wife flatly refused. 

Quoting whatIknownow:

I like my stepkid's names.  They are all biblical, and my two kids' names are also biblical, so the trend is preserved. All the names go together.

Only weird thing is, my SD13 was originally going to be named the same thing as my DD21. But luckily they decided on a different name. I have often wondered how we would even handle that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)