Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Should I feel weird?

Posted by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
  • 19 Replies

My husband's Dad recently passed away.. Dh and his brothers have been clearing out their Dad's house so they can get it on the market and sell it. His dad had some boxes of pictures. 

They agreed that someone should scan them and burn discs to make copies for everyone. I quickly volunteered to do it because I think that is a great idea and have all the equipment.

So I am scanning, cropping and organizing all of these photos into my computer. Of course there are pictures from the skids early life when Dh & BM were still together.  Seeing them together doesn't bother me, seeing them when they were young parents doesn't bother me, I was fully aware that he had a whole life before we met as did I (I was married before too)

I am loving seeing the pictures of the kids as babies, they are so sweet. These kids are so cute!! Is it weird that it doesn't bother me? Should it bother me? Should I be weirded out and be cropping her out of the pictures and then burning the originals or something equally weird? 

by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Privacyisgood
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you are a mature secure woman.  Good for you.  

laughnchica
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

I had to do a double take when I read my husband's DH...I am assuming that that was supposed to say Dad.

And I wouldn't say that it is weird that you aren't bothered by it. Just well adjusted. =) Now if you started hanging all those pictures on your living room walls...I might be a little weirded out.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm the same way. That was in another lifetime-you have no control over the events-but it's nice to share in the memories :)

angirose
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:29 PM

No i dont think so at all. Why be weirded out by a life he had before you? Its part of him and very much part of the kids. Be proud of yourself for being mature and helpful. Be greatful you can share this time with him and the kids. I give you kuddos for being supportive and mature about the task you have taken.... :0)

Lslk
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I wouldn't feel wierd at all either. That kind of stuff does not bother me and it really shouldn't bother anyone. Like you said, you both had a life before each other so embrase it, don't hate it!

YesImMomToo
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:31 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh you're right.. hahaha. I fixed it.
 No? I shouldn't go frame some of their wedding pics and hang them around the house and light candles and chant incantations? 

Quoting laughnchica:

I had to do a double take when I read my husband's DH...I am assuming that that was supposed to say Dad.

And I wouldn't say that it is weird that you aren't bothered by it. Just well adjusted. =) Now if you started hanging all those pictures on your living room walls...I might be a little weirded out.

laughnchica
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:32 PM

Haha yeah...just a bit creepy ;)

Quoting YesImMomToo:

Oh you're right.. hahaha. I fixed it.
 No? I shouldn't go frame some of their wedding pics and hang them around the house and light candles and chant incantations? 

Quoting laughnchica:

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:33 PM

no. you volunteered to take on the task, which was nice of you, and bonus that none of it makes you feel some kind of way. i strive to get there someday. it does bother me a little to see pix of my SO w his ex. but i would never act crazy or crop her out.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:45 PM
1 mom liked this

No, don't feel badly that you're not weirded out.  That's their history.

When I first met the kids, one of their fave things to do with me was "show me" stuff.  Like....videos of them at Disney with their parents.  Who, btw, were hugging and kissing in many of the video shots.  It was UNCOMFORTABLE only because who wants to see their spouse with someone else?  But it made sense and the kids didn't get that...they just wanted to share their history.

But it was a little weird.  So if you DO get a tinge of ick, don't worry.  That's normal too.

Nice of you to offer to get the photos scanned.  So many families lose these things.

ShannaBee
by on Feb. 5, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I'd be weirded out but I'm also struggling.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)