Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How old can you be and still be in HS?

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
  • 36 Replies

Sd should have graduated at 17.  She is supposed to graduate in May but BM let her BF move in and she oversleeps, skips whatever.    We still pay CS because she is in HS.   Think BM is so lax on making her go because she knows it will extend CS another year?

I just seen this on FB from SD." Welllpp I finally reached that limit where the principle told me I couldn't miss anymore days or I won't graduate :( bummer!"

by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Not sure. But they do have summer programs for those who are just shy of graduating otherwise.  It sure would be a shame if she didn't finish HS when she's this close.  Also, if it's due to tardies/abscenses, I know that our school district/county will go after the parent after so many...I thought that was pretty standard?

As for CS, I know my folks' CO stated that Dad had to pay CS until we were 18 then 1/3 of college if we chose to attend plus maintain our health insurance until we were either 18 or if attending college, for 4 more years.

I believe that DH's CO has some similar verbiage.  I don't think that graduating HS (or not) is something that you really have to worry about from a CS standpoint as it should be relatively simple to have it modified if she will not attempt to graduate.

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:21 AM

DH's CS was extended because she didnt graduate in June of last year.  She only had to go to one class everyday this year.  Maybe they dont hold the BM responsible after the kid is 18?  Just a shame.. Hs is free there is no reason this kid shouldnt graduate.  They hook up with boys and their brains are sucked out of their heads.

Quoting Birdseed:

Not sure. But they do have summer programs for those who are just shy of graduating otherwise.  It sure would be a shame if she didn't finish HS when she's this close.  Also, if it's due to tardies/abscenses, I know that our school district/county will go after the parent after so many...I thought that was pretty standard?

As for CS, I know my folks' CO stated that Dad had to pay CS until we were 18 then 1/3 of college if we chose to attend plus maintain our health insurance until we were either 18 or if attending college, for 4 more years.

I believe that DH's CO has some similar verbiage.  I don't think that graduating HS (or not) is something that you really have to worry about from a CS standpoint as it should be relatively simple to have it modified if she will not attempt to graduate.

TS9509
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:22 AM
When I was in HS most kids were between 17-18 graduating. The age "cut off" was 21. If you hadn't graduated by then u weren't able to come back.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:27 AM

The age cutoff for attending high school here is 20.

Pero1
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:31 AM

97, according to this! So ony 80 years to go!

http://www.globalaging.org/elderrights/us/graduation.htm

Derdriu
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Does the school district you're in have an alternative learning facility?  There's a school in our district that caters only to kids on a non-traditional graduation path, mainly those that would otherwise be at risk of dropping out.  The students pretty much work at their own pace, finishing earlier than their peers or playing catch up, but with a lot more individual attention from teachers.  If she simply won't go and doesn't care about graduation, she can always get her GED.  Under the circumstances, I'd look into that if I were you and push her to take it.  She's 18.  Sitting around obsessing over some boy while life and opportunity pass her by may be her prerogative, but she's not entitled do it on yall's dime.  She needs to be either studying or working.  Many adults her age do both.

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Quoting Pero1:

97, according to this! So ony 80 years to go!

http://www.globalaging.org/elderrights/us/graduation.htm

Omg!  Well BM's nursing home will be paid for then..lol

MommySabs
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:20 AM
It is usually by district. In ours it is 20.
Derdriu
by Gold Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Obviously, policies differen from district to district, but I found this interesting in ours:

"A student who voluntarily attends or enrolls after his or her 18th birthday is required to attend each school day until the end of the school year and is subject to compulsory attendance laws, if the student is under 21 years old. In addition, if a student 18 or older has more than five unexcused absences in a semester the district may revoke the student’s enrollment. The student’s presence on school property thereafter would be unauthorized and may be considered trespassing."

Looks like 18 is the limit unless you're making an effort, with 21 being the ultimate cut-off.  Or put more colloquially: Shit or get off the pot.

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Oh I agree.. waste of tax dollars in my opinion.

I will have to look for the school policy where she attends.  Long way till the end of the year so I am sure she will miss another day.     If I was 21 and still in HS I would be embarressed!  

Quoting Derdriu:

Obviously, policies differen from district to district, but I found this interesting in ours:

"A student who voluntarily attends or enrolls after his or her 18th birthday is required to attend each school day until the end of the school year and is subject to compulsory attendance laws, if the student is under 21 years old. In addition, if a student 18 or older has more than five unexcused absences in a semester the district may revoke the student’s enrollment. The student’s presence on school property thereafter would be unauthorized and may be considered trespassing."

Looks like 18 is the limit unless you're making an effort, with 21 being the ultimate cut-off.  Or put more colloquially: Shit or get off the pot.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)