Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

SD called me mom idk if we delt with right

Posted by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM
  • 3 Replies
ok I'm still new to this but I'm 25 I have no kids of my own but our step daughters came one weekend and when we told them to get ready on Sunday so we could take them back to their mothers house our youngest (4 yrs old) threw a fit. We go through it every weekend. She just doesn't want to go. Well a couple weekends ago I got home to her throwing a fit about it again and her dad that she had to go because her mommy missed her she yelled back at him sayin she doesn't want to go and it's not her mom. When she was asked by both her nana and dad where her mom was she said she is here and ran over to me. I'm not gunna lie my heart felt like it was gunna explode I felt like cryin because it made me feel so good. But we ended up sitting down with her and explaining that it was nice of her to say but we didn't think that her mommy would be happy about her calling me that. We told her it would hurt her moms feelings. Well the next weekend we got them back and our oldest tells us that her sister hurt her moms feelings because she once again called me mom. And her sister got in trouble. I don't know if we explained it right to her. I know she's only 4 but she is very smart. We don't know if she did it intentionally or not. But ever since then now both the girls are causing so much trouble at their mothers. Has anyone gone through this or similar?? I'm not tryin by any means to take their mothers spot. The weird thing is I found out from my dad when I was about their age I had called my step dad dad but I did it right in front of my bio dad. I do not remember that but my bio dad told me it broke his heart but that he understood that children will call you as they see you.
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:15 PM

I really wouldnt worry about it or do anything about it. She will probably grow out of it.

packermomof2
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:17 PM

Mom said no and mom will keep reminding the girl that mom is mom and you are not when she does that.  It is probably to get a rise right now.  Sometimes when kids, even kids that young, see they get a reaction for their actions, they keep doing it.  

And what WIKN said.  

shanlee42
by on Feb. 6, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I think you did the right thing. I would politely correct her if she calls you mom again. If it keeps up maybe try finding a special nickname that she can call you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN