Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Pictures at life's biggest events

Posted by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
  • 8 Replies

I've been divorced and remarried all in a period under five years. I have a SS that is a senior and a DD that is a sophmore. So, thinking to the coming graduation, then hers, I'm wondering.....would it be weird for the birth parents to pose in a picture together with their child, for their child if the child asks or the BM? Do you do this, or is it forever separate pictures for graduation, weddings, etc.. BM isn't with anyone so would we pose as the three of us with SS or what? I will always be a little of jealous of BM because she had DH first, but we don't have any problems being around each other or getting along. The three of us have visited colleges together with him.  It probably won't be an issue because SS hates pictures anyway, but thinking about it all just made me curious.

by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
newstepmom61811
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:27 PM
I would let SS decide what he wants, not a small child...he decides...
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
LovingMy2x4
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I would imagine he would like a pic with bio-parents and then a pic with you, DH and DD.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM
1 mom liked this
I had a picture taken with my bios at my wedding. It was awkward, because they haven't spoken to one another since I was sixteen (they haven't spoken civilly since before their divorce when I was one). I appreciated it though, because this is the only picture I have of both my bio parents with me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
whatIknownow
by Emerald Member on Feb. 7, 2013 at 3:13 PM
2 moms liked this

I think if the kid who is graduating or whatever wants pictures with Person A and Person B, it's fine. You don't ever have to see those pictures.

Now I will tell you that this is something I used to feel completely different about in my newbie days. No way was MY Husband going to pose with his EXXXXXX WIFE. N.F. W.

now... LOL... these days I don't care. Take whatever pictures you want. Just get my good side and dont' make me stand next to anyone skinny.

lnr187
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 5:59 PM

ss should have a picture with just his parents. then maybe one with you and dh.  and one with just his bm.  but definitely the kid should have a pic with his parents.

lnr187
by on Feb. 7, 2013 at 6:00 PM

that skinny part is what would put me off. bm has awesome skinny legs that look good in shorts and skirt (graduation in june...) i on the other hand will have capris to hide the celulite.

Quoting whatIknownow:

I think if the kid who is graduating or whatever wants pictures with Person A and Person B, it's fine. You don't ever have to see those pictures.

Now I will tell you that this is something I used to feel completely different about in my newbie days. No way was MY Husband going to pose with his EXXXXXX WIFE. N.F. W.

now... LOL... these days I don't care. Take whatever pictures you want. Just get my good side and dont' make me stand next to anyone skinny.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 12:32 PM

I think it should be up to the kid, but I will say that in the case of weddings and such, it's nice to do a separate pics with parents too just so there is something they feel more comfortable having up in their house.  (I'm not familiar with senior pics having parents in them?)

When I got married, I had a real conundrum with regards to pics (and seating!) with my folks.  I did several variations with the photographer even though I knew I wasn't going to ORDER every option in an effort to not hurt anyone's feelings.

I think the best thing parents can do in these situations is keep it in perspective.  It's about the child. Adult, teen, whatever.  Try to make it easy on them.  Just because you (or your spouse) pose with an ex and the child involved doesn't mean you have to hang it up on your wall.  But maybe the kid would like to.

PxbGirl
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 1:06 PM

I think if the kid wants that, the parents should do it (Mom and Dad). Follow the kid's lead. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)