Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

*OT* IT"S MY TURN TO B****!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM
  • 18 Replies

1)I'm finally over that damn kidney infection (Praise baby jesus!)

Now to the fun part. Our lease is up in about 3 months. We have to be out by June 1st (we just can't afford to live in this house)

So DH told me the other day "babe you got 2 months to find us a new place to live" and that was that.

No other particulars. I asked about bedrooms etc (because supposedly SS's going to be living with us next school year and he's old enough to need his own bedroom.) Nothing-just an "i trust you"

So I called MIL for help. Thank god SOMEONE from that family knows how to help when asked. She was able to point me in the right direction. We've found 5 places so far. All very nice homes, same county so DD won't change schools. Great priced, nice areas. Now to set up appts to do walk thrus and meet with the landlords.

I've never done any of this before-so any advice is greatly appreciated.

For the record-we do need a fenced in yard (or the option to put a fence-at our expense)

we do need 3 bedrooms. (SD11 is going to be heartbroken she's not getting her own bedroom but tough shit-she doesn't have a say)

Are there certain questions I should be asking? I intend to walk thru EVERY SINGE HOUSE-because of DD's disabilities-if I find something not safe and I'm unable to correct it-obviously that house isn't going to be a good fit for us.

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:04 PM

And for the record-SD  isn't a concern-because for the past month-she refuses to visit with her father. Says she's coming. Waits til the last minute and refuses to come. Then cries and bitches all weekend she was bored and miserable. She's going thru her moods again of ignoring me and her dad. We go thru this every year.

DH already told her she's not getting her own bedroom at our house because she's not there enough. She has her own space at our house and that's good enough for now.
She's at the stage where she thinks we need to do everything for her and cater to HER needs.

Sorry kat don't play that shit.

Wish me luck ladies!

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:06 PM
Ahh shit! I got nothing:-( I never rented before! I'm never any help...I suck lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:14 PM

Quoting saywhat2102:

Ahh shit! I got nothing:-( I never rented before! I'm never any help...I suck lol

I'm gonna say nothing lol. I was gonna say something dirty but NEVERMIND! although your hubby may disagree with your statement hehehehe

MIL told me to call each owner-ask if the house is available, how much the security deposit is-ask to setup a time and date for a walk thru.

She said if ANYTHING seems shady about any of it-walk away. Hopefully I'll do okay

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Are you getting appliances included? If so make sure the owners are willing to fix anything that may break/die.

On the walk-thru note anything that may not be 'prefect' shape and document it,copy it and send it to landlords. IE-lock on bathroom door broken or even blinds are broken. These things are things that should be replaced at landlords expense. That way they can't hold your deposit later saying it was your fault.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:27 PM
1 mom liked this
Lol:-D. Shoulda known you woulda picked up on that :-P

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting saywhat2102:

I'm gonna say nothing lol. I was gonna say something dirty but NEVERMIND! although your hubby may disagree with your statement hehehehe

MIL told me to call each owner-ask if the house is available, how much the security deposit is-ask to setup a time and date for a walk thru.

She said if ANYTHING seems shady about any of it-walk away. Hopefully I'll do okay

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:31 PM

Quoting Tillymommie:

Are you getting appliances included? If so make sure the owners are willing to fix anything that may break/die.

On the walk-thru note anything that may not be 'prefect' shape and document it,copy it and send it to landlords. IE-lock on bathroom door broken or even blinds are broken. These things are things that should be replaced at landlords expense. That way they can't hold your deposit later saying it was your fault.

which appliances? we're bringing our own washer/dryer/fridge

And I'll make a note of your suggestion.

When DH checked out the house we're in now-they redid everything. There were no blinds/curtains carpets (it's all hardwood floors freshly redone)

Locks are a big must for me because of my daughter. I'll also be sure to check the windows as well. Half the windows we have in this house are old as fuck and drafty as a barn.

jadedprincess
by Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:37 PM
1 mom liked this

i would bring a night light with me and try all the outlets if the power is on and most land lords will have the power on.  you dont want to have to deal with electricity issues but if they are minor issues then you might be able to negotiate a lower rental rate.  

Tillymommie
by Silver Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:39 PM

Most places I have rented from have fridge, stove at minimum. Its mainly to make sure someone doesn't bring a old crappy appliance that could short out and cause a fire. Where I live they also have to have working smoke detectors already in place.

I am trying to think of more things.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting Tillymommie:

which appliances? we're bringing our own washer/dryer/fridge

And I'll make a note of your suggestion.

When DH checked out the house we're in now-they redid everything. There were no blinds/curtains carpets (it's all hardwood floors freshly redone)

Locks are a big must for me because of my daughter. I'll also be sure to check the windows as well. Half the windows we have in this house are old as fuck and drafty as a barn.

Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children. Do you understand? ~The Crow

laughnchica
by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Ask about utilities. If they want first month, last month and deposit. Make sure all the faucets and stuff work. And checking the cleanliness of the water.
Make sure to read thru the agreements and make sure they don't screw you.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 8, 2013 at 9:06 PM
1 mom liked this

I am no help.  Never rented.  Sorries.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)