Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Poll

Question: Should a NCP have to ask the CP if he/she can get the child a library card to avoid problems?

Options:

Yes

No

A parent can do whatever he/she wants

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 73

View Results

BM (who gets SS EOWE) took him to the library and got him a libary card (without telling us in advance). Now we are unable to get SS a libary card or need to ask BM (NCP) for permission to use her card. She just told the people at the library she's the mother - no further questions asked. The librarians are aware of issues because kids go back and forth between homes, but every child is only able to get one library card.

What are your thoughts on this?

by on Feb. 8, 2013 at 11:38 PM
Replies (21-30):
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 3:45 PM

Just be happy they use the library.  I get books out for the kids using my card.  None of them have their own yet.

liltigersmom
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:02 PM
4 moms liked this
She told them, she's mom?

The nerve.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Vicky1975
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:10 PM

Our library is a county library system. We live a few miles past the county line and our local library is very small, so the selection of books is limited. We use the library in the adjacent county where BM lives. Since we are out of county we can only check out 15 items. BM lives in the same county where the library is at, so she can check out up to 50 items (on her card alone). I think it would be much easier to split 50 items between 2 people than 15 items between 2.

I like the fact that she takes him to the library, but the primary reason is to check out movies, not books.

Panda113
by Bronze Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:23 PM
3 moms liked this
It's just a library card. No biggie. If skid can't get another one just check out books using yours or DHs. It's a non-issue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:38 PM
1 mom liked this

All this over a library card? Really?

AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting liltigersmom:

She told them, she's mom?

The nerve.

I know, RIGHT?  How DARE she....I mean, that's ALL the damn library required....just that she be his BP....you'd think they'd have asked for finger prints or something.  What is this world coming too????

shanlee42
by on Feb. 9, 2013 at 4:53 PM
2 moms liked this
15 items seems like plenty to me for one child. I still don't see the point here. I don't really get what the issue is. BM got him a library card at 9..... not a tattoo.

Quoting Vicky1975:

Our library is a county library system. We live a few miles past the county line and our local library is very small, so the selection of books is limited. We use the library in the adjacent county where BM lives. Since we are out of county we can only check out 15 items. BM lives in the same county where the library is at, so she can check out up to 50 items (on her card alone). I think it would be much easier to split 50 items between 2 people than 15 items between 2.

I like the fact that she takes him to the library, but the primary reason is to check out movies, not books.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AmyB118
by NA Rocks on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Its all about control for some people.  I've got bigger things to worry about than a freakin' library card but some people allow themselves to become consumed by trivial things.

Oh and in some states, BM would be allowed to get him a tattoo at 9 - we had that conversation here a few months ago :)

Quoting shanlee42:

15 items seems like plenty to me for one child. I still don't see the point here. I don't really get what the issue is. BM got him a library card at 9..... not a tattoo.

Quoting Vicky1975:

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:51 PM

So you want to benefit from where BM lives?  How far away is this library?

Quoting Vicky1975:

WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 9, 2013 at 7:53 PM
We have a library card the kids use.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN