Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM calls 730am this morning, bitching at DH (who just got home from working an 8h shift) because ss6 refused to do his homework.

DH asked BM why wasn't it done yesterday when he came home from school? BM said "he didn't wanna do it when he came home, so I let him play on the xbox instead"

DH told her "not my house, not my problem" and she should have the kids on a homework schedule vs allowing them to do it whenever they feel like.

He (and I) have told her many times, when they come home from school, sit them down at the table and SUPERVISE THEM until all the homework is done.

*BM has 4 of her 5 kids in school. SD14/SD11/SS10/SS6. The only child who doesn't have bad homework grades is ss10. The other 3 all have bad grades for incomplete/not turning in homework.

SF and DH both told BM-to sit with the kids-make sure all assignments are done and packed away. Then they will be allowed to go do whatever.

She chooses not to listen to any ideas, so today DH had enough and told her"since you refuse to listen to me or (SF) don't come crying to me about this again"

For the record, if the skids, or DD8, has homework-they sit at the table as soon as they get home-I will supervise, we check it over together, fix any mistakes and it's done and over with.

She swears the skids are like Jekyll and Hyde...because we don't have half the problems she does at her house with these 2!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Replies (11-20):
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

NO No BM homework first THEN xbox!!  banging head into wall

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:08 PM

By the way bunch of rosesHappy Valentines Day Kat<3

andie646c
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:16 PM
1 mom liked this

SO picks the kids up from school, brings them home, if there is ANY homework, they sit at the table and do it immediately. We check it over, have them correct anything that is wrong then re-check. If anything is still wrong we do the problems with them.

YSS has been known to lie about his homework though ... not sure what to do about that.

IntactivistMama
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Let him catch Hell at school for not doing it, then ground him.

I believe some people have to learn the hard way, sometimes.

Quoting andie646c:

SO picks the kids up from school, brings them home, if there is ANY homework, they sit at the table and do it immediately. We check it over, have them correct anything that is wrong then re-check. If anything is still wrong we do the problems with them.

YSS has been known to lie about his homework though ... not sure what to do about that.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:12 PM

There is a surprising amont of homework for 1st grade, but still...school age kids=homework.  And we both work so it isn't done until late, but it gets done.

momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:27 PM
2 moms liked this

I'm from the camp you help them early on and then you loosen the reigns.  So definitely we help our Kindergartner with his homework.  But my 4th grader I'm there to help if he needs me. I will say time for homework and if he doesn't do it then he will have to face the consequences.  This happened with his reading goal last month.  He didn't hit it and he was the only one in the class who didn't so he had to leave the room so they could have a reading party.  He was so upset.  It was a good lesson in choices.  You made the choice to not read so you essentially said you choose not to go to the party.  This month he was the first one to meet their reading goal.  

So do your Skids have any consequences besides just a bad grade?  

rebeccasmly
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:34 PM

I believe homework should always come before video games/ play time. If you honestly believe your child needs a break between school and homework, then allow them to do something quiet (not playing video games) to relax a bit for a half hour or so and then have homeowrk time.

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:41 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting saywhat2102:

By the way bunch of rosesHappy Valentines Day Kat<3

You're the sweetest ever!!! oxoxoxoxox but you're not the first to give me roses today.....ss and hubby got you beat but they are GORGEOUS

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:42 PM

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

So do your Skids have any consequences besides just a bad grade?  

Don't make me laugh. I just ate lunch.

Nope-BM just screams and yells and bitches at them and DH.

DH told her-try sitting with them and helping them or at least watch them to make sure it gets done-but she can't be bothered. She naps/rests from the time they come home til it's dinner time because we all know how taxing it is to be a sahm.

Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:44 PM

Quoting rebeccasmly:

I believe homework should always come before video games/ play time. If you honestly believe your child needs a break between school and homework, then allow them to do something quiet (not playing video games) to relax a bit for a half hour or so and then have homeowrk time.

Exactly. Sometimes DD is ready to tackle school work right away-sometimes she needs a snack or some juice. but still NO playtime til work's all done

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN