Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

BM calls 730am this morning, bitching at DH (who just got home from working an 8h shift) because ss6 refused to do his homework.

DH asked BM why wasn't it done yesterday when he came home from school? BM said "he didn't wanna do it when he came home, so I let him play on the xbox instead"

DH told her "not my house, not my problem" and she should have the kids on a homework schedule vs allowing them to do it whenever they feel like.

He (and I) have told her many times, when they come home from school, sit them down at the table and SUPERVISE THEM until all the homework is done.

*BM has 4 of her 5 kids in school. SD14/SD11/SS10/SS6. The only child who doesn't have bad homework grades is ss10. The other 3 all have bad grades for incomplete/not turning in homework.

SF and DH both told BM-to sit with the kids-make sure all assignments are done and packed away. Then they will be allowed to go do whatever.

She chooses not to listen to any ideas, so today DH had enough and told her"since you refuse to listen to me or (SF) don't come crying to me about this again"

For the record, if the skids, or DD8, has homework-they sit at the table as soon as they get home-I will supervise, we check it over together, fix any mistakes and it's done and over with.

She swears the skids are like Jekyll and Hyde...because we don't have half the problems she does at her house with these 2!

by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 1:00 PM
Replies (21-25):
momof2cuteboys
by Silver Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:48 PM

At school is there anything?  Maybe setting up a positive consequence will get them back on track.  I fear the 14 yr is a lost cause though.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

So do your Skids have any consequences besides just a bad grade?  

Don't make me laugh. I just ate lunch.

Nope-BM just screams and yells and bitches at them and DH.

DH told her-try sitting with them and helping them or at least watch them to make sure it gets done-but she can't be bothered. She naps/rests from the time they come home til it's dinner time because we all know how taxing it is to be a sahm.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

At school is there anything?  Maybe setting up a positive consequence will get them back on track.  I fear the 14 yr is a lost cause though.

Quoting Tigress22304:

Quoting momof2cuteboys:

So do your Skids have any consequences besides just a bad grade?  

Don't make me laugh. I just ate lunch.

Nope-BM just screams and yells and bitches at them and DH.

DH told her-try sitting with them and helping them or at least watch them to make sure it gets done-but she can't be bothered. She naps/rests from the time they come home til it's dinner time because we all know how taxing it is to be a sahm.

at school? Not really. the 15yr old isn't in danger of failing just yet-she's borderline average student. Its more of my 2 skids that are the worst offenders. SD15 does her homework in school I guess. The skids say she never sits at the table unless she's got a project to do.

But their school is super easy. Just write your homework down-bring home all necessary items and get it done.

However their mother never was one for school work. She was a high school drop out. She said "education makes her head hurt"

that explains a lot.

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 7:15 PM
1 mom liked this
Hmmm it's amazing what the different expectations for homework get. One has the expectation that home work will get done. And the kids do it. With a little follow thru from the adult.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
packermomof2
by on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Even at that age I reminded my kids, reminded them a couple of times, and let them get a bad mark if they didn't do it.  It is their homework, they need to do it or face the consequences.

It isn't a my house, my rules problem either.  The kid needs to learn responsbility period.  Telling her not to call dad for help with their kid is his prerogative, but the kid is till both parents kid no matter the location.

I remember calling my ex once years ago when I was making at attempt at coparenting and needed help with getting one kid to do something important.  It was just one out of a few times that taught me that it is easier to raise my kids without the help of the other parent.

Tigress22304
by Platinum Member on Feb. 14, 2013 at 8:50 PM

Quoting packermomof2:

Even at that age I reminded my kids, reminded them a couple of times, and let them get a bad mark if they didn't do it.  It is their homework, they need to do it or face the consequences.

It isn't a my house, my rules problem either.  The kid needs to learn responsbility period.  Telling her not to call dad for help with their kid is his prerogative, but the kid is till both parents kid no matter the location.

I remember calling my ex once years ago when I was making at attempt at coparenting and needed help with getting one kid to do something important.  It was just one out of a few times that taught me that it is easier to raise my kids without the help of the other parent.

I understand packer, you're right-they DO need to learn responsibility. And DH has told BM AND the kids-when they come home-they need to get homework done first thing before playtime. However, it's kind of hard for them to obey dad while they're at BM's house and she doesn't follow through with any sort of punishment.

I think he's getting aggravated with having to constantly remind the skids and BM about the importance of good grades/doing homework.

Any ideas on how to help this situation better?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)