Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Quiet Time

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM
  • 29 Replies
Does anyone have an established quiet time?

I have wanted to put one in effect for an hour a night for a long time. Sometimes the TV, video games, computer, constant chatter, etc, drive me nuts. I have also noticed that SO feels the same way at times, where he'll shut the TV off in frustration.

This is what "quiet time" means to me: you can do any activity that does NOT involve a television or video games or lots of noise. No listening to loud music (SO and SS will do this simultaneously and I have to leave the room). What you CAN do: read. Draw. Surf the web QUIETLY- NOT WATCH VIDEOS. Work on puzzles. Listen to an audio book while doing any of these things OR quiet music.

Is this too much to ask for nightly in my house?

Edit: Okay, does anyone have a mandatory "it's time to get ready for bed, put everything down" time?

When is snack time over? When is the last drink allowed? When do you make your kids get off the computer or video games?

Suggestions are welcome. 8:30 is IN BED time here.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:58 PM
1 mom liked this

Yea...good luck with that one lol.  This would NEVER work in my house.

tazlover01
by Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

I don't think it's to much. DH & I want to do something similar only no electronics? But he's having a hard time putting down his laptop. Lol.

pepper504
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM
1 mom liked this

I have a DD15 (who will be 16 very soon) and a SS14.  We also have a 13 year old dog, 10 year old cat and just recenlty acquired a puppy that is 9 weeks old.  I have NO idea what quiet time means in my household.  lol. 

In saying that, GOOD LUCK! :)

Dana333810
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 3:59 PM

Nightly might be asking too much all at once....I would break them into it easy, so it's not such a big change all at once kwim? Like start out with two nights a week, then three or what ever. You may find that just a couple of days may do it for you and DH. I would just take it a little at a time. Other than that, I think quiet time sounds like a good idea.

ManicAttack
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:05 PM
I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of when SS has school. It's just the three of us, so I don't know why it is so DAMN LOUD ALL THE TIME. Lol. SS is here on 2-3 school nights and we switch weekends. But the weekdays are when we all need down time. It seems that right before bed, everyone is more wound up than two hours before. I've been noticing SS gets out of bed 2-4 times after he is in bed too, keeping him up til 10 or later. I think this is because he is allowed on his tablet until bedtime and eats right before bed. On these nights SO and I have a hard time winding down, too.

Quoting Dana333810:

Nightly might be asking too much all at once....I would break them into it easy, so it's not such a big change all at once kwim? Like start out with two nights a week, then three or what ever. You may find that just a couple of days may do it for you and DH. I would just take it a little at a time. Other than that, I think quiet time sounds like a good idea.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Dana333810
by on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:10 PM

LOL LOL Sounds like quiet time would definitely benefit you all!

Quoting ManicAttack:

I guess I'm thinking more along the lines of when SS has school. It's just the three of us, so I don't know why it is so DAMN LOUD ALL THE TIME. Lol. SS is here on 2-3 school nights and we switch weekends. But the weekdays are when we all need down time. It seems that right before bed, everyone is more wound up than two hours before. I've been noticing SS gets out of bed 2-4 times after he is in bed too, keeping him up til 10 or later. I think this is because he is allowed on his tablet until bedtime and eats right before bed. On these nights SO and I have a hard time winding down, too.

Quoting Dana333810:

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:11 PM
2 moms liked this

At my house, no one is allowed to use electronic devices without headphones unless they are in their own room.  If you are in the living room, kitchen, etc, then you better have headphones on or the volume all the way down. 

I always mute the TV when commercials are on.  The constant noise of the TV drives me crazy. 

If the kids are watching or listening to something in their rooms, the noise shouldn't be loud enough to be heard in the living room. 

I don't have a designated "quiet time" in my house, but I try to always keep the noise to a minimum. 

Happily Married | BM to DD13  DD13  DD11 | Mom to DS7 & DS3 | CP

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:16 PM
1 mom liked this

ETA:  As I'm sitting here typing, my husband is sitting directly in front of the TV playing a new video game with his new headphones on.   Even though playing video games drives me crazy, it's much easier to deal with when you can't hear it!

GlockMom
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:17 PM
2 moms liked this

What is quiet time?

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2013 at 4:18 PM
1 mom liked this

Also, is it sold at Walmart? ;)

Quoting GlockMom:

What is quiet time?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)