Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

How do you split household costs?

Posted by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:12 AM
  • 34 Replies

Moving in with SO and SD6 in a few months. We've already discussed that all household bills will be split (mortgage, utilities,etc). I was thinking that it would be appropriate to have a joint account that we both contribute a certain amount to every month. What do you do? What's worked and what doesn't work?

by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:12 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
dawnnamarie
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:21 AM
We did this when we first moved in together. Now we've moved on to majority of finances going into the joint account.

We keep seperate savings accounts
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
feliciasmith
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 3:26 AM
Dh pays large bills, I pay small ones and groceries. I have my own checking and savings he prefers not to deal with banks lol
HotMamaRosie
by Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:21 AM

Everything goes to the same pot. DH makes much more than me so I couldn't split if I wanted to. I get paid weekly so very week I pay daycare and gas and set aside for the house payment and when his money omes in he pays everything else. We are in the middle of changing our budget again bc my ex stopped paying child support. But everything goes into the jt and everything gets pd from the the jt acct. 

MiddleAgeMess
by on Feb. 16, 2013 at 4:57 AM
We have a joint checking/savings and then dh has a seperate account for travel expenses. (Card was stolen once to the only account...never again)

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Feb. 16, 2013 at 6:46 AM

Before we were married, dh figured all of the household bills (he owned the house previoisly) ona spreadsheet and gave it to me, he deducted payments I made for joint things like groceries and I wrote him a check. Our finances were seperate, but open to each other. Once we got married, we opened a joint account and now dh pays all bills. 

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Our incomes are similar so we split bills, including gas and groceries but he pays his own child support and extras for his kids and me mine. He gets paid biweekly so he gives me one quarter of the bill money each check and I pay them.
Quinn525
by on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:45 AM
We don't split bills. All the money goes into the pot and it goes to pay our bills. Sd lives with us and bm doesnt support sd.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 12:55 AM

We have one account.  I was the only one working at the beginning.  But he had equal ability to get things we needed or he wanted.  Now that he's working it still goes in one pot.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:38 AM

Well, I'm a SAHM and the primary caretaker of SD and our other 3 kiddos. DH works all the money goes into a joint account and bills get paid. He gets no CS for SD, however, as of Monday the department of child support is FINALLY getting on that, so hopefully in the next few weeks we'll see something coming in from BM.

KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Feb. 17, 2013 at 1:41 AM
DH works. I don't. I receive CS. They both go into the same bank account and all the bills get paid. No split.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN