Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Does the custodial parent have the ability to enroll a child in the public school in their region?

Posted by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
  • 42 Replies

Does the custodial parent have the ability to enroll a child in the public school in their region?  Can the noncustodial parent forbid the enrollment?   In this case the school district in question is highly ranked both locally and nationally.  

*Custodial Physical Custody, Joint Legal

by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:37 PM
1 mom liked this

It would depend on the CO. If the co does not specify where the child will go to school, I would imagine the custodial parent would choose the school. I dont think the NCP can object without cause.

amantonacci
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:38 PM
1 mom liked this

'who else would enroll the kid in school?

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:46 PM
If the school is in the custodial parents school district, then I would imagine a NCP would have to have a very just cause to stop the enrollment and would have to go through the courts to have a judge decide. But usually, yes, its the custodial parents job to enroll the child in school.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 9:52 PM

As opposed to what? NCP forcing home schooling or something?

Doodle39
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:02 PM

As the CO is written the NCP would need to drive the child to school 2 days a week EOW .  The initial discussion seemed to be focused on the NCP not wanting to make the commute.  So, I suppose the alterntive would be having the CP and child commute to a less effective school district.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

DieselsMom
by on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:06 PM

Do you both live in the same school district???

Doodle39
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:09 PM

No

Quoting DieselsMom:

Do you both live in the same school district???

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:11 PM
1 mom liked this
The NCP wants the CP to commute 8 days in a two week period bc they dont want to commute 2 days EOW? Is the NCP disabled or something? Bc if not, that is really messed up.

Quoting Doodle39:

As the CO is written the NCP would need to drive the child to school 2 days a week EOW .  The initial discussion seemed to be focused on the NCP not wanting to make the commute.  So, I suppose the alterntive would be having the and child commute to a less effective school district.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Doodle39
by Bronze Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:17 PM

No, the NCP is physically able and has a car.  It seems to be more about convience... :(  

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

The NCP wants the CP to commute 8 days in a two week period bc they dont want to commute 2 days EOW? Is the CP disabled or something? Bc if not, that is really messed up.

Quoting Doodle39:

As the CO is written the NCP would need to drive the child to school 2 days a week EOW .  The initial discussion seemed to be focused on the NCP not wanting to make the commute.  So, I suppose the alterntive would be having the CP and child commute to a less effective school district.

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Feb. 19, 2013 at 10:21 PM
Wow... No way. I am all for working things out and co-parenting well but that is just plain being taken advantage of. There has to be another way. Either the NCP drives according to the court order or the NCP could ask to have to CO changed so CP has the child those days and can do the driving... Or something. But I personally don't think that the CP driving is a reasonable request here.

Quoting Doodle39:

No, the NCP is physically able and has a car.  It seems to be more about convience... :(  

Quoting PumpkinSpice8:

The NCP wants the CP to commute 8 days in a two week period bc they dont want to commute 2 days EOW? Is the CP disabled or something? Bc if not, that is really messed up.

Quoting Doodle39:

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN