Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

We are having a baby.....

Posted by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
  • 20 Replies
1 mom liked this

DH and I are expecting! This is my first child and DH second. SS is 10. I am just about to reach the end of my first trimester and have arranged to have our pictures taken for our announcement cards. The photographer has made signs for each of us to hold (me, DH and ss). My sign would say "he did it" with an arrow pointing at DH. DH's sign would say "yeah I got her" and SS would hold a sign saying "and now I'm gonna be a big brother". SS has 3 younger siblings from his BM none of them are from DH. Would it be wrong to have SS hold that sign? I don't see anything wrong with this but a friend of mine thinks I am wrong for not acknowledging that SS is already a big brother. Any thoughts?

by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
WifeyC
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:53 PM
2 moms liked this

He will be a big brother in your family now.  There is nothing wrong with it.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 12:54 PM
1 mom liked this

Congratulations and I wish you a very uneventful pregnancy!

Frankly though, I think the whole thing with the signs and picture is creepy and tacky.  Call me old school.  

I especially think it's creepy to have SS involved in a pic like that.  It just seems really low brow to me.

Is this a new thing? To send out pics like that?  Where I come from, you pick up a phone and call your friends/family after you're through the first trimester and then you have a baby shower a few months later.

Whatever you choose to do, I would not drag SS into it.

DDDaysh
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Are we talking about 3 different pictures? 

I see nothing wrong with your SS's sign, but I think the sign for your DH is...  kind of crass, and I wouldn't be happy if my 10-year-old was in a picture with that kind of message even if he wasn't the one holding the sign. 

KellyReedy
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:05 PM
1 mom liked this

Do it!  How cute!

tiredmama42
by Silver Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

When my DS was born My DD and my SS all wore matching T-shirts in ours.   Said the same.. Im the big sister , Im the big brother.   I see nothing wrong with it.

RMCmata
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:18 PM
I see were that could come off ad kinda tacky but it's of a family joke. We have had infertility issues and the family joke (trying to make light of the situation) was that I just didn't want to be a gotten woman.

Quoting DDDaysh:

I see nothing wrong with your SS's sign, but I think the sign for your DH is...  kind of crass, and I wouldn't be happy if my 10-year-old was in a picture with that kind of message even if he wasn't the one holding the sign. 

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:21 PM

Well, if that's the case (family joke and all) I still don't think I'd involve SS in that picture unless BM is hip to it.  

Saying that he's going to be a big brother is not inaccurate.  He is.  Again.  

But if he were my child, I'd not find the photo with the two of you holding the signs very appropriate.  

Congratulations though.  You must be very excited.

DDDaysh
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:26 PM

As funny as that might be to the adult members of the family, I'd still leave the 10-year-old out of it.  It's just a kind of joking that isn't appropriate for his age.  It's almost like including a 10-year-old in your sex scene even if he's not directly participating, it makes it seem like he was looking on...  not cool. 

Two DIFFERENT photos I could see, but not all in the same one. 

I'm glad you're finally getting your baby though! 

Quoting RMCmata:

I see were that could come off ad kinda tacky but it's of a family joke. We have had infertility issues and the family joke (trying to make light of the situation) was that I just didn't want to be a gotten woman.

Quoting DDDaysh:

RMCmata
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Thank you!

Quoting Birdseed:

Well, if that's the case (family joke and all) I still don't think I'd involve SS in that picture unless BM is hip to it.  

Saying that he's going to be a big brother is not inaccurate.  He is.  Again.  

But if he were my child, I'd not find the photo with the two of you holding the signs very appropriate.  

Congratulations though.  You must be very excited.

RMCmata
by on Feb. 20, 2013 at 3:30 PM
I highly doubt any of our family and friends would read that deep into it. Especially because they are all in on the joke. Our infertility issues were not a secret. I can respect you're view point though.

Thank you and yes it's been a tuff road but well worth. Now to the next leg of our journey!

Quoting DDDaysh:

As funny as that might be to the adult members of the family, I'd still leave the 10-year-old out of it.  It's just a kind of joking that isn't appropriate for his age.  It's almost like including a 10-year-old in your sex scene even if he's not directly participating, it makes it seem like he was looking on...  not cool. 

Two DIFFERENT photos I could see, but not all in the same one. 

I'm glad you're finally getting your baby though! 

Quoting RMCmata:

Quoting DDDaysh:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN