Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

i may have overstepped last night ...

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
  • 58 Replies
But somehow I don't care. We went to ss4 baseball practice last night ...all was well I kept to myself mostly because I was freezing..
ss4 is at that age where he has a hitting problem ...I noticed that he was punching bm in the rear before practice ...but at the end of practice he slugger her again hard enough for her to yelp...I got down on one knee and scolded him..hitting is not acceptable especially to his mama..then told him to apologize ...she didn't say anything ...I don't care how much I dislike the girl ...I don't want him to do that!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 12:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pepper504
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 1:09 PM

I wouldn't worry about it. 

destiny83
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:07 PM
1 mom liked this

I think that's fine. Personally I would've held my tongue (as hard as it was to watch) and thought what a shame than she doesn't know how to deal with her kid.

JustaSM231
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I've done something similar before.  SD was 7 at the time and was being disrespectful to BM.  BM was telling SD to do something at a school function and SD was ignoring her.  BM told SD several times and SD continued to ignore BM.   I caught SD's eye and gave her "the look" my Mom use to give me when she wanted me to straighten up.  SD answered "yes ma'am" and went and did as BM told her.  BM looked sligthly confused as to what happened and I just giggled and walked away.  But I also got onto my step MIL's niece for the way she was talking to my step MIL.  I swear I wanted to grab that girl by the throat and rip it off!

sunshinedaisy75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Sounds like she appreciated it even though she will probably never admit it which is probably why she didn't say anything.
KnowItAll
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:23 PM
4 moms liked this
I would be pissed if SM did that to me. I do think it's overstepping.
sunshinedaisy75
by Bronze Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:24 PM
With the BM I deal with I wouldn't have stepped in at all because even if the scenerio played out the exact same way it did in this post the BM I deal with would tell everyone and twist it into "I yelled at her son"

Quoting destiny83:

I think that's fine. Personally I would've held my tongue (as hard as it was to watch) and thought what a shame than she doesn't know how to deal with her kid.

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this

I think it really depends on the relationship everyone has.

I can remember once where my friend's daughter was being pretty nasty to Mom and she was only about 6 at the time.  I had a very good relationship with friend and her husband and the kiddo.  Saw them daily.  Had been in kid's life since she was born. 

I DID speak up and told lil' Miss E that it wasn't nice to talk to Momma that way and that I was not impressed.  That we weren't going to be able to do fun things together if she was going to treat people that way.  That she needed to apologize.

My friend was THANKFUL.  It was almost more scary to little Miss E that Miss Birdseed was upset and we weren't gonig to go do our fun thing than the fact that Momma was upset. 

But that was my best girlfriend's kiddo and we'd had convos in the past about how I was expected--not allowed but expected--to discipline the kid if I was around and saw something outside of the normal parameters.

In THIS case?  While I can appreciate your intentions, you may have really embarassed Mom more than necessary.  Maybe she didn't want to make a scene in public but planned to take care of it on her own in her own way?

I guess on the one hand, I think it's right to keep the kids in line.  but on the other, when it's not your kid, you really have to take the parents' direction.  If BM wasn't taking action and you'd had no previous talks about it, you did overstep.

misymac
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Good for you!! and if bm didn't say anything, most likely she is having a problem dealing with ds behavior and she was grateful that you did..

destiny83
by on Feb. 21, 2013 at 2:40 PM

In my situation(and probably most) I correxct my SD about how she speaks of BM when she's in our house. If it was in front of BM (although your intentions were good) she would probably only see it in a negative way. Oh' well, like you said, no reason to dwell on it too much. That's not much as far as the huge overstepping we see here. You just reminded yourself to tread carefully:)

bertaboo1
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2013 at 9:34 PM
I don't know you very well but you don't seem the type to let you kid constantly slug you either ..I see you as correcting that behavior right away ...dh and bm had yelled previously ..I don't like to yell...I speak sternly

Quoting KnowItAll:

I would be pissed if SM did that to me. I do think it's overstepping.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN