Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Would you home school your Steps

Posted by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
  • 61 Replies

I am a CSM. My step daughter and my daughter have aspergers. Their School isn't giving them the kind of accomidations that they need. I am trying really hard to get them into this special needs school but I'm not sure I can convince the public school to pay for it with out ending up in court. I am thinking that we might have to start home schooling. I am pretty sure that if Bm finds out though she will not understand the situation. Not that it really matters I'm not doing this to make bm happy or upset her I'm doing this to benefit SD and My DD's life. So my question is would you do home school SD if you were the CSM and already homeschooled your own kids?

by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
DDDaysh
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:49 PM

I would not do it if both parents weren't on board.  Too much can go wrong. 

violetmarie
by on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:50 PM

yes I would homeschool them if we thought it would be best. However I am sure BM would have to have a say in it since they share joint legal... not sure how she would react to it.

saywhat2102
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:51 PM

Only if BOTHparents agreed to it.  That would be the ONLY way.

abigailsmommy11
by Kelli on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Definitely! Since you guys have custody, depending on the court order, Bm shouldn't be able to do anything about how your Sd is schooled. I think it's great that you want to do this for your girls =]

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Well DH has Full legal Custody so schooling is solely his choice. I am sure he would discuss it with BM and He'd listen to her argument of she can live here and go to school 5 hrs away from her current living situation. Because the schools are smaller there and that's pretty much the only benefit of her living in that area which isn't really a benefit because the classroom sizes are still the same and in smaller areas they don't typically have the resources that the larger towns do. In the end after lots of bitching she'd let it happen and she'd be happy once she saw how much SD benefits but it'd take time for her understand and she'd never admit that she's happy just wouldn't bring it up unless she wanted to use it in a fight!

Quoting DDDaysh:

I would not do it if both parents weren't on board.  Too much can go wrong. 

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I am CSM too, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would homeschool any of my kids, bio or step, I think I would suck at it, plus I wouldn't be able to quit working, so I don't know. My ss6 is autistic but the school system has a great IEP program.  He is now in an inclusion class. Does your school system not have an IEP program? Are there districts near you that do?

rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:07 PM

I don't think I could even homeschool my own kids, so probably not. However, if that was my thing and it would benefit my skids and everyone was on board then I wouldn't care if they were skids or bio. I am just not the teacher type though, I am a fast learner but I cannot explain things well to others, in my mind you either "get it" or you don't.

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:08 PM

They have IEP programs it is required by law for all public schools to provide IEPs and other services for kids with special needs. However there are no inclusion classrooms at that school which is why I'm looking into a charter school in our area this would be a last resort. Also we are heading into a position where I won't have to work and working would actually cost us more then it's worth considering gas. So my options are home school or go back to school or be willing to do both. I have read over the curriculm and looked into the hours that home schooling requires and I would be able to do both so I'm considering it. Only though like I said if I can't get them into the special needs school.

Quoting mom2boys664:

I am CSM too, but I can't imagine a scenario where I would homeschool any of my kids, bio or step, I think I would suck at it, plus I wouldn't be able to quit working, so I don't know. My ss6 is autistic but the school system has a great IEP program.  He is now in an inclusion class. Does your school system not have an IEP program? Are there districts near you that do?

RobsPrincess24
by ThePrincess on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Yep, I would do it. I'm a CSM and SD and I have talked about it before. I would like to do it and she would too. DH isn't on board though. . .yet. LOL.

mamaBerg85
by Silver Member on Feb. 22, 2013 at 2:15 PM

LOL Why not?

Quoting RobsPrincess24:

Yep, I would do it. I'm a CSM and SD and I have talked about it before. I would like to do it and she would too. DH isn't on board though. . .yet. LOL.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN