Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child's last name...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
  • 31 Replies

Poll

Question: What should child's last name be?

Options:

Father's

Mother's

Hyphenated Mother's/Father's

Mother's and then Mother's Married name

Other, please explain

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 60

View Results

If the child was given the father's last name and then the parents broke up.

He's been in the child's life his/her whole life and paid child support.

Mother suddenly wants to change child's last name to her last name now that Mother is engaged.

What's your opinion?

by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 6:57 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
I don't think a child's name should be changed unless the child is adopted by a man legally and the name is changed to the new father's OR the father was never listed on the BC and the child was given mom's last name or another man's last name; paternity was established and the legal father is named, then the child's name can be changed.

I don't care much for hyphenated names but I can see a child having a hyphenated name if the mother and father are not married at birth and the mother anticipates keeping her maiden or legal name for many years. Some women do keep their maiden names or legal name because of their career. I know lawyers and doctors that do not change their names when they get married.

A child's name should never ever be changed based on mom's relationship status. That's ridiculous. Her relationships have nothing to do with the child and the child's name.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandeeyo
by Le Bonjour Chat on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:26 PM
5 moms liked this

If the child's given name is on the birth certificate it should stay that way.  If he/she wants to change it after they turn 18, it's up to them.

andie646c
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:29 PM

Did mom keep dads last name after divorce so people could connect her to her child more easily? Or did she go back to her maiden name?

SassyMom25
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM
2 moms liked this
I say it doesn't matter what Mom wants. Unless Dad agrees to it, I don't see a judge allowing the change.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sid1083
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
Keep the name as recorded on the birth certificate. Unless BOTH named parents agree to a change I think it's silly and unnecessary (even then would point to parents needing to make better choices the first time).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Child should keep the name they've had their entire life, regardless of mom's marriage. Unless step-dad adopts the child.

If mom gets divorced is she gonna change the kid's name again? What if she gets remarried again?

abigailsmommy11
by Kelli on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:37 PM

never married

Quoting andie646c:

Did mom keep dads last name after divorce so people could connect her to her child more easily? Or did she go back to her maiden name?

MiddleAgeMess
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:39 PM
4 moms liked this
Why in the world should the child's name be changed? There's no logical explanation. What mom *wants* because of her new bf is irrelevant.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:43 PM
When ihad ds1 i was engaged but not married so he was given my last name. I had 2 boys and i am done but if i had had a daughter who got pregnant.before marriage.i would of tried to talk.her into givig her last name to the child. If your not married i dont see wht rhe child has to have his name. When my fiance N i married i just changed his name when i changed mine but once u give the child rhe fathers last name i dont feel like u should get to change it.cause things didnt work out esp if.the child already is old enough to know rheir last name.
JanuaryBaby06
by on Feb. 23, 2013 at 7:44 PM
When ihad ds1 i was engaged but not married so he was given my last name. I had 2 boys and i am done but if i had had a daughter who got pregnant.before marriage.i would of tried to talk.her into givig her last name to the child. If your not married i dont see wht rhe child has to have his name. When my fiance N i married i just changed his name when i changed mine but once u give the child rhe fathers last name i dont feel like u should get to change it.cause things didnt work out esp if.the child already is old enough to know rheir last name.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN