Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

If you won the lottery?

Posted by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM
  • 114 Replies
Do you think it would be feasible to tell as few people as possible? I know that if I won the lottery, I would not want my Ex husband, Or Dh's ex to find out. But that would mean not telling my kids or the skids.

I know if it were me, I would tell no one but my DH and my accountant.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:34 PM

Depends on how much was won. Super huge monsterous amounts, forget it, it will be plastered all over the news. I would hold off any publicity stuff until I contacted certain people first, such as DH, my parents, my uncle (whom is a CPA) and a lawyer. I would also have things put in writing, and have it in my name only. If I bought the ticket and won, I don't want BM trying anything. Of course I would put money aside for SS, but she doesn't need her mitts on it. I have my plans already made ;) lol

mom2boys664
by Bronze Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio are the only states that allow you to claim it anonymously.

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 6:45 PM

See I would be screwed no matter what lol

Quoting mom2boys664:

Kansas, Maryland, Delaware, Michigan, North Dakota and Ohio are the only states that allow you to claim it anonymously.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

steplifewife
by Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:06 PM
1 mom liked this
Good thing I'm in Michigan ;-)

Quoting mom2boys664:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:10 PM
Ooh I don't know. It's so public. However I do recall a while back that the person who won that huge winning, was able to stay annonymous. I wouldn't care who knew. It wouldn't make any difference in my situation as I don't owe anyone any money. I wish I could win the lotto. We fantasize about it all the time. We would still work but we would be so debt free and just living off of what we make. Then we would be set for retirement. The first thing I would do is pay off all of our debts and purchase a home. Then we would take a vacation!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tigress22304
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:12 PM
3 moms liked this

If I won the lottery-nobody would ever see me or DD ever again!!! We'd hit the west coast and go travel.

Sayanora!

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:13 PM
8 moms liked this

DH and I have discussed this.  We would both proactively pay a significant amount to both BM and BF and then never have to deal with them financially ever again.  Those relationships would only be about parenting issues.  We would buy them off.  Worth every penny.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:36 PM

I wouldn't mind telling people. I'd just make sure that my accounts were secure and I'd hire a lawyer straight away. I can see BM coming to us and saying if we give her X amount of money she'll never bother DH about custody again. But, there's no money owed to her and DH has custody.

I'd probably discuss with DH hiring a family law attorney to push for sole custody for DH with BM having one weekend a month (which is what she takes now) with any other visitation being up to DH's discretion. Mostly because that's how it is now, just not on paper.

Those of you saying you'd keep it in your name only better check to see if you live in a community property state. Because if you do, legally anything in your name belongs to DH as well. That includes bank accounts and debt (with the exception of child support).

PROGENITOR
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:42 PM

It would matter who knew. It wouldn't make a difference as far as SSs mom is concerned.

ejsmom4604
by on Feb. 24, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Your post made me think, so I went and checked, and then wiped my brow lol. Thankfully not in a community property state. Honestly, if BM wasn't lazy and didn't have this thought process of "the world owes her" and other stuff ( I can't mention at this time :( ..) DH and I would have had no issue having his name on there and upping the CS, but as it is, it looks like DH will be getting full legal custody, and that will be changing the CS anyway. 

Quoting Tinkerbellmama:

I wouldn't mind telling people. I'd just make sure that my accounts were secure and I'd hire a lawyer straight away. I can see BM coming to us and saying if we give her X amount of money she'll never bother DH about custody again. But, there's no money owed to her and DH has custody.

I'd probably discuss with DH hiring a family law attorney to push for sole custody for DH with BM having one weekend a month (which is what she takes now) with any other visitation being up to DH's discretion. Mostly because that's how it is now, just not on paper.

Those of you saying you'd keep it in your name only better check to see if you live in a community property state. Because if you do, legally anything in your name belongs to DH as well. That includes bank accounts and debt (with the exception of child support).

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN