Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Family Vacation Time!!! SS13 doesn't want to go and DH says he doesn't have to

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 21 Replies

So, we are planning our summer vacation.

SS13 says, "oh. you're one of THOSE families"

He says, he doesn't want to go cause he can't stand to be around all of us for a week.

DH says, "ok you don't have to go."

Hmmm. I guess I'm ok with that, but I know in my family it wasn't an option to go. You went. And liked it!

thoughts?

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:00 PM

I think that if I were the BP, I'd try to sort out why the kid didn't want to go before just throwing in the towel.

When I was a kid (prior to divorce) we basically did the same trip every summer--out to visit both sets of grandparents.  As I got older (post divorce) there were trips that I didn't want to go on even without any step situation, but it really wasn't optional.  You went.

I really think it makes sense to try to sort out WHY he doesn't want to go, see if there's something that can be done to improve the situation for him, and get him on board.  

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 3:51 PM
2 moms liked this
If he doesn't want to go them don't make him or he will ruin the trip.

I always wanted to go. I probably didnt have an option but I couldn't imagine not wanting to go.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Leigh84
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this
I agree w/both responses find out why he doesn't want to go but if he's dead set on not going leave him be
LittleMama2012
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:16 PM
I agree with both as well. SD doesn't necessarily like going places with us. Or at least that is the feeling I get every time we take her somewhere and she shows her butt. If we don't take her, she is mad.
Personally, why ruin it for everyone else if your ss doesn't want to go.
alegna4
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 4:56 PM

lol that was always me when i was 13-16. but then i always got forced to go and ended up liking it.

Panda113
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 6:22 PM
I'd enjoy a skid free week. We traveled as a kid and sometimes my older brother opted for staying behind. His loss because we had a blast!
theshanster17
by Bronze Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 7:24 PM

He was given an option and chose not to--enjoy your vacation!

I wish that when I was younger our family took annual vacations. We didn't have a lot of money, so it wasn't too much of an option for us. But dang, I would go on every trip I can take!

MomGoingCrazy78
by Lindy Lou on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM

Family vacations are some of my favorite memories!! I'm sure if he goes, he'll end up enjoying it.

whatIknownow
by Ruby Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 8:37 PM

sounds like he doesn't want to go, and he also doesnt' really consider himself part of your family.

I would let him skip the trip, and maybe work on making him feel more accepted and involved, over the coming years.

Nature_girl
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:36 PM

My ds complained about going on a road trip once. I told him if he was going to complain he would spend the week with grandma. He didn't have to go. It wasnt a  requirement to have fun. He took a day and decided he wanted to go and had a wonderful time. No complaining at all. I would leave anyone at home that didnt' want to go.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)