Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Do you feel both bioparents should be forced to fund college?

Posted by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM
  • 130 Replies

Just curious about the opinions out there.

by on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HopesNDreams
by Silver Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 9:52 PM
In my situations, BF and I both agreed before the divorce that patents should financially help the kids with college. At the time of the divorce, we put that belief into the paperwork.

So, basically, yes they should if that is what they as a couple believed in that support.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
jadedprincess
by Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 10:25 PM

yes.  my dad told me not to worry about aslynn as he had already put aside her college money when i was talking to him about the best way to go about it.  I know bm isnt going to set any aside for SS so i will start one for him and for the baby i am pregnant with now when DH graduates and we have some extra to put elsewhere.

faerie75
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
2 moms liked this
No. My parents didnt pay for mine and seeing as how I was single until my kids were teen and tween, I have never been able to save a college fund for them either. They will get aid, grants, and loans they will pay and I will likely assist but they are not getting a full ride from me.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
E_is_4_Ethan
by Platinum Member on Feb. 28, 2013 at 11:57 PM
1 mom liked this

I think you are going to get answers depending on people's financial situation. 

People that can pay for their child, are going to say..yes parents should.

People that can't are going to say..no

krazykiddles
by on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:05 AM

I am not financially capable at the moment, but when the time comes to fund my kids within a year of each other I will be able to then, based on my long term financial plans.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:15 AM
11 moms liked this

I don't think any parent should be forced to pay for their child's college education. If they can afford to, and want to, then yes they should. However, it shouldn't be a requirement.

momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:18 AM
Yes I think so. I know that when dd was born, my ex and I set up a college fund for our child which was contributed to monthly. When we divorced it it was no longer his concern. I will be funding every dime of our dd going to college. But if we had stayed married, we would have funded it together. Something about divorce makes people become stingy with their money. Children never come first.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:21 AM
1 mom liked this
With our income my child will have a very difficult time getting any financial assistance from anyone except us. She will be required to try to get as much in scholarships as possible but she likely will not qualify for any aid. My parents did this to me. They made too much money. They expected me to pay for college. I couldn't afford it and dropped out. I don't want that for my child. But if we didn't make the money we make then it would be different. I am trying to save now as much as I can but it can get tight with all the other savings we need to have.

Quoting faerie75:

No. My parents didnt pay for mine and seeing as how I was single until my kids were teen and tween, I have never been able to save a college fund for them either. They will get aid, grants, and loans they will pay and I will likely assist but they are not getting a full ride from me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momof2ex1
by Ruby Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Ugh I wish we would have done that. We both had the same beliefs during marriage. I should have known that someone would change their mind...

Quoting HopesNDreams:

In my situations, BF and I both agreed before the divorce that patents should financially help the kids with college. At the time of the divorce, we put that belief into the paperwork.

So, basically, yes they should if that is what they as a couple believed in that support.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 1, 2013 at 12:47 AM
Based on our financial situation will we help where we can but the kids are going to have to get aid and loans. My parents helped me with loans after I graduated and based on my ability I would be willing to help after graduation as I can.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN