Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

HELP !! Birth parents both out of the picture

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM
  • 16 Replies

I am the step mom to a beautiful 2 yr old boy. BM was doing drug and alcohol when prego etc She was and is not able to take care of baby. I married the dad and have had the baby since he was a week old. Now the dad has left the picture and I alone have the baby. I need help to figure out what I can do to keep him. Both birth parents want me to keep him too. I just need it legally. He has had multiple medical problems but now is getting better. Its been a long road and I love him as if he is my own. I have temp guardianship from WY but live in IN now. Please can someone tell me options I can try to keep him in the safe and loving inviroment he has only know? What are my options to make sure BP can't take him after abandoning him? Do I even have any rights at all? That and I would love to chat with other SP who may have gone thru something similar. PLEASE HELP I feel so alone!

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
jadedprincess
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:06 AM

file a petition for custody..idk never been in that situation but i would atleast get my ass to the courthouse and find out what my options are and possibly find  a lawyer too.

pdxmum
by Ruby Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:57 AM

You need a lawyer first.  And then find some online support.

JustaSM231
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
3 moms liked this
Get a lawyer. File for guardianship. See if bio parents will sign over their rights. Good luck!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Nature_girl
by Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM
Adoption. Get an adoption lawyer. If both parents agree to you being the parent it shouldn't be an issue.
rocknmom85
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:47 PM

You have a very good case. You have raised this baby since he was a week old and BM was doing drugs during the pregnancya and then abandoned him and now you DH has left him with you too.....yeah you should definitely adopt this child. Are you still married to the babies' father or did he file for divorce. And why did you marry a man that could just abandon his child like that? I know you obviously didn't plan on that but it says a lot about his character.

spotsmom
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Both parents need to sign over custodial rights. It would be horrible if you raised the child for years, just tohave one of them come and take him away, which they could legally do unless you adopt him. This happens all the time in cases of grandparents, other family raising children. You need a lawyer. 

Steamedpuddle30
by Hi, my name is... on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:10 PM
This. I'm sorry mama. Gl.

Quoting spotsmom:

Both parents need to sign over custodial rights. It would be horrible if you raised the child for years, just tohave one of them come and take him away, which they could legally do unless you adopt him. This happens all the time in cases of grandparents, other family raising children. You need a lawyer. 

Birdseed
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 7:13 PM

Attorney/adoption.  You may be able to file a lot of the paperwork on your own if you can get hooked up with a good social worker, but I think you'd find an attorney to be the best option. 

What a difficult situation.  Best wishes.

shanlee42
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:24 PM
This!

Quoting pdxmum:

You need a lawyer first.  And then find some online support.

TakenItDayByDay
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Get a lawyer ... and fast.

You don't just have to worry about BP's, there's also grandparents, aunts, uncles, long lost cousins ... ALL of which have more "rights" to a child than a SP and if they wanted to go for custody after abandonment, a judge just my rule in their favor because they are "blood."

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN