Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Stepmom Central Stepmom Central

Child support for life?

Posted by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
  • 26 Replies

Just curious what your takes on this:

Does any of you in the divorce agreement have a clause specifically states that the child support will end at, say when the children reaches 18 /21 years old or so?

If there is no clause, does it mean the parents are responsible for the children for the rest of their lives?

by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
raerae725
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:49 PM
There is no clause or cs for Dh and bm. Mine says until 18. Does the child have needs that will require parental support for life?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spicy0425
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I don't think so. My friend just got divorce and he wanted to know what the norm is since he let his ex-wife draw the divorce agreement.  My guess is he doesn't trust her and he doesn't want to be sued by her .

Quoting raerae725:

There is no clause or cs for Dh and bm. Mine says until 18. Does the child have needs that will require parental support for life?

Leigh84
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 1:59 PM
Unless it specifies otherwise its usually until the child turns 18
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
Usually the standard order in the county will have a clause saying when ca ends. The most common is 18 or when the child graduates from high school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
raerae725
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:01 PM
Ah. I don't know then. Maybe someone else here does. Is everything already signed off?

Quoting spicy0425:

I don't think so. My friend just got divorce and he wanted to know what the norm is since he let his ex-wife draw the divorce agreement.  My guess is he doesn't trust her and he doesn't want to be sued by her .

Quoting raerae725:

spicy0425
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:03 PM

Yes, the agreement was filed yesterday (means it officially becomes legal binding document). 

Quoting raerae725:

Ah. I don't know then. Maybe someone else here does. Is everything already signed off?

Quoting spicy0425:

Quoting raerae725:

cherylam
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:21 PM

No.  Ours said 18 or finished high school, which ever came last.  In this state, if it isn't specifically stated, CS ends when the child turns 18.  I went to school with some kids that the CO stated when the kids got out of college, and their father had to pay for college as well as support them, but I haven't heard anything like that recently.

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:22 PM

Unless there is a reason for a parent to pay support for the life of the child, generally the support order ends when the child turns 18, or graduates high school whichever comes last. If the child attends college the CP can petition to have support continue while the child is in college IF they are still supporting the child while they attend college.

The only reason support would continue throughout the child's life is if the child were mentally and/or physically disabled and would require a parent to care for them their entire life. And even then I'm not sure that it would be legall enforceable. I'm not sure of the legalities of that.

progressandjoy
by Silver Member on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:29 PM
Here (at least in my mom's and SF's co) cs goes until the child is 18, UNLESS the child is enrolled, and stays enrolled, in college. Then cs goes until the child is 25, gets married, graduates, or drops out.

My stepbrother's BM ruined their chances at college, because she enrolled them into college (knowing they weren't going to go), so she could continue getting cs.
AMBG825
by on Mar. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM

In our state, if the CO makes no mention it automatically reverts to state guidelines. State guidelines here are age 21 unless the child gets married or joins the military.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)