Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

CS and taxes

Posted by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
How far behind do you have to be for the IRS to take the refund?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
PumpkinSpice8
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:26 PM
One payment in most states. They only take what you are behind though, not the entire thing.

....also, I'm not sure if a complaint has to be made first or not though. I didn't get back support from taxes until I asked the FOC to do something. Not sure if that was just a mistake on my case or not.
SassyMom25
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:29 PM

I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters how far behind you are...as long as you are behind. A few comments online were that it isn't a money amount, but a time amount (as in months behind).

Polkadotted
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:46 PM
BM told me tonight that she wasn't sure if she was going to get a refund even though the IRS says its coming tomorrow.

She got a letter a couple of weeks ago that said her garnishment was going up and that arrearages were going to be added. We still haven't gotten the papers for the final CS order from November. DH didnt ask for back support but BM told us that she talked to the office And they said she was $800 behind.

I didn't think that they might take her refund for that but it would be nice for the kids.

Quoting SassyMom25:

I could be wrong, but I don't think it matters how far behind you are...as long as you are behind. A few comments online were that it isn't a money amount, but a time amount (as in months behind).

Tinkerbellmama
by Platinum Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:48 PM

Depends on the state. In Washington state if you owe $500 or more they can garnish your tax return.

lnr187
by on Mar. 5, 2013 at 7:59 PM

my friend got divorced in july. as of today her ex owes more than $6000 in cs. the irs takes his return every year anyways (long story) but the $1000 for claiming their daughter will go to my friend for back cs. if the irs was not taking his money already, then the whole thing would go to her.

elisesmom922
by Silver Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:20 PM

In Ohio, its $1000. And they actually took ALL of DH's tax money, paid off all the CS debit, THEN sent him a check for the difference.

KLBrown
by Bronze Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:26 PM

don't know. XH's a little over $21K and climbing.

mazomama
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:39 PM
Here in WI it doesn't matter how far behind you are, if your behind they will automatically intercept . I hope to god they get my boys fathers taxes cause he is still 5,000 behind. I know he probably won't get more then 1,000 back but every damn dime counts ! I wouldn't be on such pins and needles about it if I didn't feel like I had to prepare to be even more broke since he got fired last month . He has been paying for over two years every other week but they only add an extra 12$ for the arrears each pay check. It sucks since now he's list his job he's going to be even more behind and I'm not working since our son broke his leg and his depression with ADHD hit the fan x100 ;( man do I hate money lol
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LNLMommy
by Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 8:42 PM
Here in NC, I don't think it matters..CS is intercepting my ex's this year..or so they say
MommySabs
by Gold Member on Mar. 5, 2013 at 10:30 PM

I dont know if it is state to state but from what i understand where i live they no longer take federal if the payor is paying on the arrearage under 1000.00.  They hold it for 6 mths and if it is being paid on they refund it back to payor if they are a penny short it goes to payee. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured