Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

We need help with 7yr old SS

Posted by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM
  • 2 Replies
Ok so some back story, my DH got custody of his son a year ago and the mother is barely in the picture. We have had me SS in therapy since last summer because of.behavior issues do to the dramatic change. He went from a household that barely had rules and rarely enforced anything to a fairly strict household with routines to be followed. He has acted out greatly because of this, and also because he has barely seen or heard from his mom.
Fast forward to now and there's still problems. He still back talks me and similar stuff especially after he has seen or heard from his mom. While both his dad and I am strict about that I try not to let it get to me. The real problem is that you have to repeat everything you say to him, he can't seem to remember anything he's told to do, you have to remind him of everything he is suppose to do to get ready for school and to get ready for bed. My DH usually deals with it unless he has to work late or leave for work really early then of course I step up and handle it, but I get so tired of hearing my DH fuss at SS for the same thing EVERY day. My 6yr old DD doesn't have this muchproblems with getting ready for school or bed. My SS also gets notes sent home fairly often for things such as not following directions and talking in class and not listening.
My question is does anyone have any advice to help us help SS in class and at home. We were told by his previous counselor he probably as ADHD, but at the time didnt want to test him because of his emotional issues at the time. That was last summer. Should we get him tested? We really don't want to put him on meds unless we have to. Is there anything else we could do or try to help him?

Thanks in advance and sorry for any errors my phones not working very well.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Mar. 8, 2013 at 8:50 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
amonkeymom
by Amy on Mar. 8, 2013 at 3:47 PM

I would have him evaluated, but you might need to consider a new therapist as well if the current one isn't helping him make the necessary changes.

mommadana
by Member on Mar. 8, 2013 at 4:02 PM

I agree that you either need to bump up his appointments or find a new therapist.  I also think that you or DH need to speak to the therapist as well to relay what's going on b/c if SS won't open up to the therapist, it's not gonna work between them.  I've been there with my child as he sees his mom or dad and I have to get him back on track as he doesn't do change well.  They let him down in various forms and he acts out.  Love and compassion helps the most

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)